Question about Kenmore 80809 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore microwave 721.80593402 died

The gadget is about 3 year old. Went off out of the blue after starting cooking. Burnt fuse replaced, all the lights came on, but when started cooking, the whole unit died again (tried twice) .
What could that be? How can I get it fixed?

Posted by on

  • Rand1966 Jul 13, 2008

    Thank you for quick and detailed reply

×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 8,858 Answers

If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.

If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.

If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have critical safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can probably find exploded views and order parts by entering your model number here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 12, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave goes but dosnt cook all seems to be in working order


Most likely, the magnetron (the gadget that produces the microwaves) has burned out. In this case, replace the microwave.

However, it may have a burned out thermal fuse. If you are skilled in this area, you can take the appliance apart, and replace the fuse. However, DO NOT TRY THIS unless you know how to put the radiation seals back together, and, have a leakage meter to be sure nothing is coming out. Microwaves are dangerous.

Best solution: get a new appliance.

Microwaves are only good for three to fie years.

Oct 20, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Was working fine, punched in time to cook, hit start ...it ran for a second and then just went dead. No light, no display Microwave is 10 years old but never had a problem before


If the microwave control panel doesn't light up, then your fuse is blown. unplug the microwave. unscrew the vent grill, (2) screws at the top of the microwave. then you should see 1 screw holding the control panel. after removing that screw, gently push up then out. there should be a metal plate on top of the control panel. remove that plate and the fuse will be in that opening. remove the fuse and check for continuity across the fuse. Replace fuse and microwave should begin working.

Feb 11, 2011 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Have Spacemaker Microwave--JVM1630WB 004. started cooking ,heard a POP!! , and it did not cook the food. smelled like burnt wires or capacitor. No fire. fuse did not blow. Any suggestions ?


I had the same thing happen to my 20 year old Frigidare microwave (it was 8 years old at the time). Same POP!, same failure. Though I'm handy with electrical, I don't mess around with the innards of a microwave. There are lethal doses of electricity stored in some capacitors even when the device is unplugged. I took mine to an appliance repair shop that works on microwaves. In my case, a high-end capacitor had blown. The repair cost me $80.00. $5.00 for the part, $75.00 for the labor. My microwave is still working 12 years later.

My solution is not pleasant. If you call a tech out to your house, his charge for labor and parts will probably be more than the cost of a new microwave. Taking it to a repair shop is cheaper, but you would want an estimate first which in itself will not be free of charge.

New microwaves have come down in price over the years. Countertop models for as little as $100.00. Over the range models starting at about $250.00.

Whatever you decide, this is going to cost you some money. Your microwave is dead. Good luck and hope I've helped a bit.

Jan 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Emerson microwave, #MW8119SB, push start button to start cooking


Replace the fuse with a ceramic fuse from Home depot! costs less than $3 and it will fix the problem. I had all the same problems as everyone else, you name it my microwave had it! you must remember replace it with a ceramic fuse! not a glass one. I know people say its the switchboard and all that nonsence but I promise you, the fuse plays a majoe roll in the microwave not working properly. Even though it doesnt look broken, a junky fuse can cause your appliance to do very strange things. I replaced mine 6 months ago and it works like its fresh out of the box.

Apr 08, 2009 | Emerson Black Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Just went dead. checked outlet for power has power to machine


yes most microwaves today have a fuse in them it looks like the old glass fuse but not made of glass, instead they are of a gray look and ceramic. If I remember well Radio shack sells them

Apr 04, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Kenmore microware does not heat


It's one or more of the following items -

Fuse
Diode
Capacitor
Transformer
Magnetron

Yes, you can fix the unit, and I can give you direction, but make sure the microwave circuit is not covered under a longer term warranty.

Feb 01, 2009 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Lights up BUT does not cook


was there any motor that should run as you turn it on, the fan inside and the rotating table motor. try to replace that micro switch at the door that bubbled out and burnt. try to test or replaced right away the industrial diode that is connected from the capacitor to the ground of the microwave.

Feb 17, 2008 | Panasonic NN-S763BF Microwave Oven

2 Answers

My microwave died


A microwave can be dead for many reasons.

If it goes dead for a while during or after cooking then comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causing the thermostat to open. When it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.

If it's random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or fuse holder.

If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.

If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.

If the fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / body of the oven.

At our site, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information.

See our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

Oct 20, 2007 | Panasonic NN-S251 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 80809 Microwave Oven Logo

273 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8858 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Jim Thurston

Level 3 Expert

669 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...