GE JE1860WH04 oven - between one and two years old. Timer runs, but tray does not rotate and food does not heat. Tried unplugging and plugging back in - no help in the manual.
Firstly, do NOT attempt self repair of any microwave oven unless you understand the risks involved. Removing the cover exposes one to the magnetron and it's associated high voltage components. Lethal voltages exist when in operation.
Now, to your problem:
All microwave ovens operate on very similar principles, where the front panel controls switch power to the high voltage transformer (and then to the magnetron) and also any other related components, such as the turntable motor, and the internal lamp.
Most ovens have at least two protective devices that operate in cases of specific component failure.
These include: (1) Protective fuses that rupture when a short circuit condition exists, and, (2) a thermal cutout (mounted on the magnetron) that removes power in the event of overheating (usually magnetron cooling related). Unfortunately you did not state whether the control section is push button or the simpler rotary control version.
In the case of a push button (or digital) control system, it is quite possible that the circuit board has failed, and is not switching power to the rest of the microwave oven, despite the timer appearing to operate, or a protective fuse has ruptured.
In the case of a mechanical timer, either the timer has developed an internal fault (and is not switching power though) or a protective fuse has ruptured.
Thermal cutout devices, usually only operate when the magnetron exceeds a predetermined temperature (usually in the vicinity of 100 deg Celcius), and most of these thermal faults occur due to the cooling fan failing to provice adequate airflow though the heat distribution fins of the magnetron.
A volt meter would assist greatly in fault-finding, but beware of the high-voltage section, where voltages in excess of 3000 voltas are present.
Unless one is proficient with these devices (and fully comprehend the associated risks), I seriously recommend referral to a trained service provider.
Jun 08, 2011 |