Note : The steps below are applicable only for Belkin routers.
- Open an Internet Explorer window on your computer and type in http://192.168.2.1 in
the address bar. This will take you to the Belkin router's web based
configuration page. If you are not able to open the page click here.
- You will get a login page. Leave the password blank. Click Submit .
- On the left side of the page, click Channel and SSID below Wireless .
- The wireless channel on the Belkin router is set to Auto by defualt. Change the wireless to a static channel. Click Apply Changes .
- Click Logout in the top right hand corner.
Note: The wireless card in the computer will
automatically detect the change in channel number on the router and
will update the channel on the card.
are not able to connect wirelessly mainly due to environmental
interference. When the wireless channel is set to auto, the router will
cycle to though channels when it detects significant interference. When
the router changes channel the wireless connection will reset itself
and disconnect all wireless clients connected to the router.
are prone to interference from cordless phones and electrical
appliances (e.g., vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens). This is the reason
wireless connections can drop. This article explains how to overcome
frequent wireless disconnections by changing the channel number
(frequency) on the Belkin router.