Question about Home

1 Answer

I have an American Standard tub, that is about 82 years old. It was just re-glazed, and I am trying to replace the mechanism that allows you to stop water to fill the tub up, or to open the drain when showering, etc. It has a round cylinder on the bottom (almost like a weight), with two segments of tall metal connected above it which is connected in the middle. When I put it in the wall and close it up, I cannot get the lever to function properly, up and down. Can you help explain how I can resolve my problem? Thanks!

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 1,015 Answers

There should be athreaded adjustment rod in the linkage that you set up or down to make the stopper seat in the tee that connects the overflow line to the drain on th bottom of the tub. Hope this helps you. Thanks

Posted on Jan 03, 2011

Testimonial: "Thanks! Played with the level and seem close to having water stay in tub. Is the cylinder going to rest at the bottom where the o-flow joint may be?"

  • Jack Spooner Jan 05, 2011

    yes the cylinder is going to rest at the bottom of the tee. thank you and hope you have a good new year.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Bottom of bowl is stained very much. Appears to be a defect in the the finish?

Try using one of these A product called Kaboom Bowel Blaster and let it sit in the bowl for a while, then brush clean. This worked for me when others failed. You can try muriatic acid as a toilet bowl cleaner.Again let it sit for a while then brush and flush available from places like Home depot.Sometimes the toilets are not glazed as well as they should be you might call it a defect I call it poor quality control.

Aug 01, 2014 | American Standard Home

1 Answer

My american standard jet tub will not turn on. It is plugged in and power is going to it. I worked just fine and then it simply stopped. It does make a small clicking noise when button in tub is pushed to...

' /* * For text ads, append each ad to the string. */ for(i = 0; i ' + 'Ads by Google' + '' + google_ads[i].line1 + ''; url = '' + google_ads[i].visible_url + ''; info = makeBoldAdWords(google_ads[i].line2) + ' ' + makeBoldAdWords(google_ads[i].line3) + '
'; s += url + info; s += ''; } s += ''; } document.write(s); G_GGL_SKIP += google_ads.length; return; } var G_MAX_ADS_WL = 1; google_ad_client = "pub-8183356113384228"; // substitute your client_id (pub-#) google_ad_channel = "4447185069+1147946396"; google_ad_output = 'js'; google_max_num_ads = '1'; google_ad_type = 'text'; google_feedback = 'on'; if(typeof G_GGL_SKIP == 'undefined') { G_GGL_SKIP = 0; } google_skip = G_GGL_SKIP; // --> google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad); Problem with the American Standard Bathtubs / Whirlpools By bassassist69 on Sep 02, 2011
Hello: Please contact us at Wmerican Standard Brands and we will gladly help you.
Monday through Friday
8:00 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. EST

Technical Customer Service
Monday through Friday
8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. EST
8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. EST Saturday

-Paul, on behalf of ASB

Sep 02, 2011 | American Standard Home

1 Answer

We have an American Standard whirlpool tub. It's probably about 20 years old and we haven't been able to find the model name or number. It's about 4' by 5'. Our problem: we don't...

you have to access the lower control the switch should be an air type one it uses air pressure from pushing in the button they some times crack ,dislodge or damaged and will not turn on or off unit also switch can fail

Jul 12, 2017 | American Standard Cambridge 5 Ft. x 32"...

2 Answers

I have a american standard 5" tub spout with diverter it leaks I'm going to replace it with another I cant get the old tub spout to come off It won'tspin off the 1/2" pipe how do I get this old tub spout...

Don't forget to turn your head upside down and look underneath the spout body.  There sometimes is a little star screw or phillips screw securing the spout.  After removing the little screw you can get you a 3/4" pipe thats about a foot long and stick it up the tub spout opening.  This will give you leverage to turn the thing loose.  Good luck cause getting this thing loose is a sometimes.

Nov 21, 2009 | American Standard T375248.002 Polished...

1 Answer

The on off button presses down but not up and the a irflow does not go on. It is less than a year old and the construction men purchased it at Home Depot. Since they left no papers with me, is there any...

This tub should certainly still be under warranty if it is less than a year old. With my business, I offer a one year warranty that is standard with all of my installs. You may want to try your contractor first to see if he/she offers a warranty. If your contractor did not offer you a warranty, you may call American Standard @ 1-800-442-1902 mon-fri. from 8 am-6pm EST. If you have to go through them, the part should be under warranty, but you will be on your own for the labor portion. I would still check with my contractor first. I do not know any contractor that does not offer a one year warranty. Unless this was just a handyman and not a professional contractor.

Nov 20, 2009 | American Standard Home

1 Answer

Two jets stopped working

Most of these jets turn to close. Check if you turn the nozzle. Hope it helps

Jun 04, 2009 | American Standard 2770.018w.020 Cadet...

2 Answers

Water heater-american standard brand

I assume you are talking about an electric water heater. The normal life span of an electric water heater is up to 11 years. Before you replace it, try turning off the unit, turning off the water supply, and draining the tank of any built up rust and sediment. Refill the tank, and turn the power back on and see how it performs. If it is still acting up, look at a replacement. On a positive note, the new water heater should pay for itself in pretty short order due to better insulation saving energy (and replacing with a higher efficiency unit may qualify for a tax credit).

Mar 16, 2009 | American Standard Water Heaters

1 Answer

How to remove the corroded valve seat housing in my tub faucet

Some seats ae rremovable and some or not Some take a hex(allen) wrench and some take a square (seat removal tool)  Most of us use a seat grinder. (another tool to dress up the seat (Remove material) past the seat damage. You will find any of these tools at any hardware store that sells plumbing parts. If the seats have a square or hex hole remove and replace rather that grind(dress)the seat. All right hand threads meaning turn counter clock wise to remove. Take old seat to the American Standard plmbing supply outlet and then will match it up. Good fix-in to ya.

Feb 08, 2009 | American Standard Plumbing

Not finding what you are looking for?
Home Logo

Related Topics:

68 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Home Experts

john h

Level 3 Expert

13614 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

42882 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

17093 Answers

Are you a Home Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides