Question about Samsung SMH9187 Microwave Oven
Normally this would indicate that the diode in the power supply for the Magnetron (microwave radiation emitter) has failed. I would recommend that the unit be serviced by a professional in this area, or disposed of because of the following:
1 The power supply for Magnetron Tube the produces thousands of volts and can produce a lethal shock even though the machine is turned off and unplugged. Really, I'm not kidding.
2 Working on a Microwave Oven can expose you to high levels of Radiation which can immediately
Damage internal organs.
That said, there is another even better reason.
3 Microwave Ovens are now very inexpensive to replace.
Even though I personally know how to fix them, I can't be bothered.
I hope I have been of help
Happy New Year,
Posted on Jan 01, 2011
Testimonial: "Thank you. I have already contacted Samsung and a repair service is scheduled."
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
The problem is that the magnatron is not getting power. Chance is that if could be a bolwn fuse inside the unit. If the fuse don't fix it then that leaves the charging diode, capacitor or the magnatron, or high voltage xformer of which without technical epertize I would not recomend attempting to replace. good luck
Posted on May 14, 2008
That would be a problem with your primary interlock switch or its mount.
NOTE: There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
The interlocks are highlighted in the diagram below.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 29, 2008
With the symptoms you
have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier
diode or a bad magnetron, or a loose and possibly corroded connection on the magnetron's terminal.
The diode is a fairly cheap fix, and your magnetron is still under the part warranty, but you would have to pay labor.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)
If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (1 year), G.E. will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.
If it's within the mag warranty, G.E. should send you the magnetron to do it yourself. Call them at 888-239-6832 with your model, serial, and manufacturing date.
If nothing else, you can save about $50-75 if you remove it from the wall and take it to a GE-authorized servicer.
You can find a GE-authorized servicer by calling GE Appliance Service at 1-800-848-7620 or here.
Accessing some components for testing and possible replacement will require you to remove the oven from the wall.
If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Mar 02, 2009
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.
The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.
There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.
Posted on Apr 26, 2009
In all likelihood the mangnetron has failed, or perhaps even something in the Power Supply. or a fault that is shutting the system mangnetron down, for safety reasons You need to have it serviced by a reputable service centre/man.
Ensure you get a firm "Quote" before proceeding, and remember these days the cost of repair can equal or exceed the price of a new one.
Posted on Feb 01, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 24, 2012 | Frigidaire FMV156DC Microwave Oven
Apr 12, 2011 | Sharp R-520KS Microwave Oven
Dec 02, 2010 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven
Sep 18, 2010 | Whirlpool MH3184XP Microwave Oven
Jan 31, 2010 | LG MV-1444Y Microwave Oven
Nov 28, 2009 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens
Aug 17, 2009 | Frigidaire FMV145K Microwave Oven
Oct 20, 2008 | Sharp R-930AK Convection/Microwave Oven
May 14, 2008 | Hotpoint RVM1635 Microwave Oven
304 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: