Question about Kitchen Ranges

1 Answer

The ceramic cooktop on my Jenn Air downdraft model JED8403bdb has cracked. I can't find instructions for replacing just the glass. Is this because it is best left to a professional? Any advice appreciated.

Posted by on

  • 2 more comments 
  • Starlight26 Jul 08, 2008

    The cooktop is not under warranty. It appears the glass on the corner was scored by a sharp piece of metal or something like that. I am not really sure when or how it happened. When I noticed the scratch I was cleaning the cooktop - the entire corner is wobbling when you put pressure on it. I've read that it is not safe to use the cooktop when there is a crack as a boilover could cause electrical damage.

    The cost to replace the entire cooktop is $1500 (it is a downdraft unit). The cost to replace only the glass is about $300 with shipping if I do the work myself...much more if I need to get a repairman in.

    I would be very interested to get the link explaining the replacement process.

  • Starlight26 Jul 09, 2008

    Jeff - the part number for the glass top is definitely 74007072. I live in Ontario, which probably explains why my pricing is a little different. The model number I put in my post was incorrect - it should have read 8430, not 8403. This is an electric downdraft cooktop installed in an island with a granite countertop. I did go to your link and printed it out. Is the procedure the same if the cooktop is not part of a stand alone range?

    I did not install the original unit. Looking at it from underneath, it does not appear there are any screws or clamps attaching the unit to the countertop - the glass part sits above the counter - the downdraft unit and element box are below. There are screws visible when you remove the downdraft center grate. If I unscrew these will the entire bottom part fall?

    Appreciate any advice you can offer!

  • Starlight26 Jul 09, 2008

    I found a service manual with good instructions through the Maytag Service Library ( I have to disconnect the downdraft from the unit then lift out the cooktop. It says there are twelve 1/4" hex screws securing the glass to the burner box. Doesn't sound too difficult. I found the glass through AP Wagner, a Canadian parts distributor. It is available for pick up at an outlet not too far from where I live so that at least saves me the shipping charge. Thank you for your help!

  • Jeff Rockwell
    Jeff Rockwell May 11, 2010

    Is your range still under warranty? How did this happen? The reason I ask is if the range is under warranty, and if this was caused by a design flaw (i.e., the cooktop just cracked for no apparent reason) this repair would be covered under warranty and you would not have the worry of deciding whether or not you wanted to attempt this on your own. If this was caused by you (even if it was an accident), or if the warranty has expired, the manufacturer will not cover the cost of repair. I can post a link to you, explaining, step-by-step, how to replace the cook top if you want to pursue a repair option on your own. In addition, these tops generally, aren't cheap. This is another deciding factor that you may want to consider. Please post back and let me know what you decide.



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 5,911 Answers

You are correct in your assessment that leaving a cracked cooktop in place could present a potential hazard. Are you sure you have the correct model number posted? I ask because I found a JED8430 model number listed at with the glass top, item number 935927, listed for $215. There's also another one listed as item number 948440 for $226. The second glass top also requires 4 corner tapes (item number 696731). Of course, these prices did not include shipping. Something you may consider, though. If this is not your model number, then ignore the previous question.

Click on the following link for the step-by-step instructions I said I would offer you:

If the instructions are insufficient, please let me know. If you have any questions along the way, also let me know. I hope this helps you.


Posted on Jul 09, 2008

  • Jeff Rockwell
    Jeff Rockwell Jul 09, 2008

    Sorry, didn't realize you were in Canada. I wonder if repairclinic ships to you? Okay, my experience with these downdraft units that are installed in an island, require you to actually remove the unit to get to the remaining screws. There should be screws located around the perimeter of the cooktop along the sides of cabinet, and they may not be accessible unless you remove the unit. Removing may not be easy. You will have to remove the bottom panel and disconnect the downdraft vent line and any electrical connections. Once the unit is out, yes, the instructions should still apply.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How do i replace my burner on my jenn air ceramic cook top . it has the down draft feature in the centre

1) turn off power at the breaker. 2) remove hold down screws 3) pop up cooktop out of counter top 4) remove knobs and downdraft grille 5) remove ceramic top (screws around outside and also in side grille opening) 6) unplug burners replace with new burner

Sep 17, 2009 | Jenn-Air JED8430 Electric Cooktop

1 Answer

How to repair cracked corner of black ceramic cooktop

Epoxy would not work. If it is a very small chip and is NOT STRUCTURAL or in the heated are you could TRY the adhesive used for rear view mirror to glass attachment.

Sep 13, 2009 | Jenn-Air 30 in.JGD8430ADS Gas Cooktop

2 Answers

Need To Replace the Cooktop of my Jenn-Air downdraft

Here is a blowup diagram of the cooktop.


Looking up the service manual - it is no longer available.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for using FixYa!!

Apr 25, 2009 | Jenn-Air 30 in. CVE3401 Electric Cooktop

1 Answer

Jenn-Air Cooktop replacement needed

You can get a new cooktop surface from Maytag/Jennair for $229. It is a pain however to replace it. Where is the crack in your cooktop and does that crack pass directly through a heating element? If not, then you may be able to repair it. I broke the corner off mine, and then dropped the piece (now 5 pieces). I was able to bond them back together and you really can't tell it was ever broken. But, it takes some work.

Apr 11, 2009 | Jenn-Air JED8430 Electric Cooktop

1 Answer

What's best tu glue my cooktop on my granite countertop?

I don't think I'd glue it down permenantly. I just had to replace the ceramic glass on mine (a JED 8430 ABD) after it cracked. Thankfully, it wasn't glued down so I could replace it pretty easily (ordered part directly from Jenn Air). But some sort of seal to keep food out from under the cooktop would be nice. I just wouldn't go permenant. The fact that you have to tape the down draft to the external vent should keep the cooktop in one place (plus its own weight).

Feb 28, 2009 | Jenn-Air JED8430 Electric Cooktop

1 Answer

Jenn air glasstop

As long as the pan bottom is truly flat, you sure can. Hope this helps!

Feb 11, 2009 | Jenn-Air JED8430 Electric Cooktop

1 Answer


the glass top replacemnt is a pretty straightfoward task, a matter of unscrewing one and repalcing it wiht anew one. after ordering new top its a matter of lookin g at eh new top to see which screws would need to be removed from old. hardest part about job will be youll need to do disconnect the downdraft from the venting ,and pull unit up from the counter inwhich it is installe.< not difficult but cumbersome and awkward to manuver. check abd verify full model and serail number and cal manufacture for correct part umber. may cast anywhere fom 200-400 dollars depending on model

Nov 04, 2008 | Jenn-Air JED8430 Electric Cooktop

3 Answers

Downdraft vent on jenn air cooktop

How do you get the inside area of the vent clean from the grease and oils where the filter is?? I have a rectangular box style downdraft that the vent goes into the floor, I pulled the filter, but the box is to slender to get an arm into to scrub the grease....... does the bottom come off, or is it a sealed unit? How do you get all the brease from the bottom if you cannot reach it?

Jul 09, 2008 | Jenn-Air JED8230 Electric Cooktop

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kitchen Ranges Logo

Related Topics:

726 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kitchen Ranges Experts

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers


Level 3 Expert

78238 Answers

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3238 Answers

Are you a Kitchen Range Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides