Question about Vanguard International Blue Flame - Large Open Flame Mid-Size Heater
Thanks for choosing FixYa
There are a few different issues that might be the cause of your problem.
The way that the gas control system works on your unit is with a millivolt system. The thermocouple is a located in the pilot flame. When the thermocouple is heated it generates millivoltage to magnetize the gas valve so it will stay open. This acts as a safety system to shut off the heater burner gas in case of pilot outage.
The thermocouple could be defective and need replacement. The part is fairly common to obtain from most home improvement stores as long as your heater uses a unviersal style thermocouple. Some have wired connections instead of a threaded one and others can have a inline safety switch connection so make sure that the one that you purchase is the identical style.
But before you go changing it there are a couple of things to test before doing so...
1. Is the thermocouple is getting proper flame impingement? Make sure that the pilot flame is making good contact with the thermocouple for proper heat transfer. There can be debris in the pilot flame causing it to be restricted so give it a light tap with something hard while it is on. Also make sure the thermocouple has not slipped down out of position.
2. How are the connections to the gas control valve? Check the wiring to the control valve and make sure the screws are tight. Loose connections can cause this problem. If the thermocouple threads into the control then make sure it is not loose. Do not overtighten it. Just make sure it is not loose.
2. Check to make sure the room is not too small for your unit. This unit has a built-in oxygen depletion sensor. It will detect a problem with open oxygen in the room for the burner flame by detecting a smothering condition. Some of these switches are self-resetting and some are manual(push button on the sensor). There could be a problem with the switch(loose wiring,defective switch) or a smothering/restricted burner flame tripping the switch.
If all of these things are testing good then I would lean toward the problem being with the thermocouple. You can test the thermocouple with a fluke meter. Just heat the end with a flame and test the threaded end of the thermocouple(removed from control) with the fluke or multimeter probes(center and side contacts). Set the meter to the millivolt setting and you should get at least 150 millivolts. If you get less then more than likely it is dead.
If you replace the thermocouple and you still have the same issue then it is possible that the control mag head is defective and the gas control valve will need to be replaced.
And here are a couple of things to consider...
1. How comfortable do you feel about making repairs on this appliance? Not to talk you out of trying to make repairs yourself but a gas appliance can be dangerous. There is a chance of fire or explosion if repairs are done improperly or safety precautions are not taken.
2. Is the appliance still unbder warranty? You might still have a warranty and the repairs could be covered.
Well I hope my information is helpful and thanks for using FixYa
Posted on Dec 31, 2010
Sorry to read about your problem, I hope this helps you out.
you may have a defective thermocouple, its that little rod bar, that the pilot lite touches....
I tried to help you. Please help me and Rate/Vote on my response. We take the time to answer your question. take the time to rate us.Thanks and good luck
4 Thumbs - Very Helpful
3 Thumbs - Helpful
Posted on Dec 31, 2010
I have a vangrard bule flame heater works great on LP but won't work on natl.gas is there something I can do for it to work on natl. gas???
Posted on Dec 10, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 08, 2014 | Dyna Glo Heating & Cooling
Dec 04, 2013 | Water Water Heaters
Jul 27, 2011 | Water Heaters
Nov 22, 2010 | Williams 6508732 Gas Heater
May 15, 2010 | Jandy Laars Lite 2 Pool Heater 125,000 Btu...
Oct 03, 2009 | Napoleon Heating & Cooling
Oct 01, 2009 | Desa International Blower Glow Warm Wall...
Jul 12, 2009 | Bosch & Tankless LP Hot Water Heater
May 28, 2009 | Hayward H Series Pool & Spa Heater 400k...
May 21, 2009 | Teledyne Laars Laars Lx Pool Heater /...
Jan 17, 2009 | Vanguard International Blue Flame - Large...
915 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: