Question about GE JE2160 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Keeps blowing 20 amp cermaic fuse when door is opened on microwave

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Corporal:

    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.

    Mayor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 9 Answers

I finally was able to fix similar problem. The "primary" door switch (top switch) had a burned contact inside the switch body, as well as burned surrounding plastic. It would no longer "click" and tended to stay in "closed" position. [The switch is a "normally open" design (NO).] When this occurs and the door is opened, the "monitor" switch causes the fuse to blow out. GE wants $50 for this part. However, I was able to find a universal design of microswitch at Fry's Electronics. It had the same rating (15 amp at 250 volts), same body size, both NO and NC terminals, but with a lever arm which I had to remove by opening the case. Cost was $2.47 + tax. (PRICELESS!). It works well now.. I also had to buy a set of Torx driver bits for tamperproof screws to be able to remove the oven cover. (The hole in the end of the bit goes over the tamperproof pin of the screw).
I also viewed a YouTube video which was helpful at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWTCnACqdY

NOTE: I believe this problem occurs from opening the microwave door before the cooking is finished (without either pushing "pause" or "clear/off" buttons). This can cause a momentary "arc" between the switch contacts which, over time, will pit and burn the switch

Posted on Jan 08, 2011

  • Smday Apr 22, 2011

    Vincentes, you rock! Same problem here with the primary door switch. Except that GE now (April 2011) wants $75.50 for the microswitch. But Fry's Electronics is now carrying the same switch with no adjustment needed FRYS.com #: 2314329. Cost of $2.19 plus $1.99 shipping. Wow, what swine they are at GE parts. All is now well and I will be instructing all the users to shut down the oven before opening the door. Good hint.

  • Stanley Chivaura Aug 07, 2015

    good hint thanks

×

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

About my Emerson microwave oven; What can cause the fuse to blow in my microwave oven?


That would be a problem with a door switch, door switch mount, or hinge.

See my help file on door switches here:
http://www.microwavecontrol.com/doorsw.txt

Oct 01, 2016 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

How do I fix a blown microwave fuse?


How to Fix a Microwave Oven - Simple Fuse Replacement ...

? 18:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0BqiVX5ds
May 21, 2013 - Uploaded by GuruBrew
How to Fix a Microwave Oven - Simple Fuse Replacement. GuruBrew .... I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse ...

Whirlpool Microwave Keeps Blowing Fuses - YouTube

? 2:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQgendKTR0
May 7, 2013 - Uploaded by AdamDIY
Whirlpool Microwave Keeps Blowing Fuses ... MicrowaveThermal Fuse Replacement - GE Microwave ...

Microwave Oven Repair 101 ' DoItYourself.com




Dec 06, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave blows fuse to kitchen outlet when it is plugged in. microwave still works.


What else in on the circuit? Your oven should be on its own. If you live where I live, this should be a 20 amp 120 Volt AC branch wired directly from your power panel.

If this is not the case, have a licensed electrician install a proper circuit for you.

Mar 18, 2013 | Cuisinart CMW-100 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave blows fuses


A short likely in the wiring for the light or at the safety switch embedded on the side where the door closes----be careful as a 20 amp fuse takes something major to take out.
(for it to blow)

This might be best left to a qualified service person.

Dec 22, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

The 20 amp power fuse blows every time i start the mircowave oven?


The oven probably has a bad interlock monitor switch, one of several switches in a microwave that are operated by the door latches. The switch is wired so the fuse will blow if you try to run the oven with the door open, and it isn't operating properly when you close the door. As soon as the oven kicks on the power to the magnetron tube, the microwave source, the fuse blows. The switch may have been damaged if the door was slammed, or it's just a mechanical failure. It's not an expensive part, but any microwave repair involving the door should be done by a professional because of safety concerns, so you will have some labor cost to add in. It shouldn't cost as much as a new oven to make this repair, though, so it's probably worth fixing.

Jan 13, 2011 | Hotpoint Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I keep blowing my 20 amp fuse, replaced mag tube and diode


Check the HV capacitor. It may be short circuited.
Also check the door switches. One of the switches (the monitor switch) is connected directly across the power and is there to blow the fuse in the event that the timing of the door switches are incorrect.
The monitor switches on Panasonic micros will also short.

Jan 04, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Stopped work when open microwave door no power now , replace the cermaic fuse and replace the secoundary interlock switch with mocro switch subsitte wb24x10103 when turn run again the power came on and...


I finally was able to fix similar problem. The "primary" door switch (top switch) had a burned contact inside the switch body, as well as burned surrounding plastic. It would no longer "click" and tended to stay in "closed" position. [The switch is a "normally open" design (NO).] When this occurs and the door is opened, the "monitor" switch causes the fuse to blow out. GE wants $50 for this part. However, I was able to find a universal design of microswitch at Fry's Electronics. It had the same rating (15 amp at 250 volts), same body size, both NO and NC terminals, but with a lever arm which I had to remove by opening the case. Cost was $2.47 + tax. (PRICELESS!). So far so good. I also had to buy a set of Torx driver bits for tamperproof screws to be able to remove the oven cover. (The hole in the end of the bit goes over the tamperproof pin of the screw).
I also viewed a YouTube video which was helpful at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWTCnACqdY

Oct 21, 2010 | GE JE2160 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore microwave 80404400 no power


This is typical of the 20 amp fuse blown. It can blow due to slamming the door or even opening the door to quickly while it is running. It could also blow if there is a failure of one of the door interlock switches. This fuse is ceramic and looks similar to a cylinder automotive fuse and is located behind the control panel on this model.

Apr 20, 2010 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave fuse keeps blowing


ckeck your door switches and h.v doides if you know how if do not get serviced by technician

Mar 21, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JE2160 Microwave Oven Logo

905 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9085 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1179 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...