After plugging the TV into an outlet I know to be hot (working), and pressing the power button (either on TV or on the remote), I hear a "click" indicating power is flowing into the TV, but the TV doesn't turn on.
Instead, all I get is a blinking standby/timer light that flashes 5 times, stops, flashes 5 times, etc. etc.
Tried resetting by holding reset button on remote down and pushing power button on TV; no effect. Tried unplugging for 12 hrs; no effect.
Sony repair says light blinking 5 times indicates the general nature of the problem.
TV had been working fine until power went out during strong thunderstorm.
Thank you for your help
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: TV won't turn on
The set is in protective shutdown because a problem was detected. The 5 blink code indicates that the problem circuit. In this case it is the blanking circuit. Were there any indications of problems prior to the storm? If not, I'll need to lok up this one for the specifics. Do you intend to repair this yourself?
Let me know and I'll provide the details.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
• Press the TV button or ON/OFF button while remote is in TV mode and there's a source of power to the outlet or outlet strip. • Make sure the TV is plugged in. • You might have tried to turn on the TV during the lamp cool-down. Wait a few moments and the picture will appear. • Has the power light on the front of the TV been blinking for one minute? If so, the lamp may be dead. Refer to the Power indicator is blinking or flashing section below for more information. • When you first plug your TV into an outlet, the Power indicator on the front panel will light and blink for approximately 30 seconds and then go off during the initialization of the TV. This happens only when the TV is unplugged and plugged back in. The TV can only be turned on after the Power indicator goes off. • Check the wall receptacle (or extension cord) to make sure it is "live" by plugging in something else, such as a lamp. • Something might be wrong with your remote control. Press the POWER button on the front of the TV. If the TV turns on, check the remote control solutions on page 53. • Multiple TV Setup might be set to the wrong option. Press MENU/OK on the front panel. Select Setup Options, then Advanced Options, then Multiple TV Setup. Choose TV (default).
If the red light won't come on it is not getting power.First,try plugging it in to a different outlet,or unplug one of the gadgets you know is working and plug the tv in there.You are simply switching.If you know that there is power coming from the outlet and it still won't come on then you'll have to check the cord;don't go much farther than that without expert help.
TV won't turn on • Press the TV button. Make sure the TV is plugged in.• Check the wall receptacle (or extension cord) to make sure it is "live" by plugging in something else.• Something might be wrong with your remote control. Press the POWER button on the front of the TV. If the TV turns on, check the remote control solutions on page 26.• The front panel controls may be locked (disabled). Use the remote control to unlock the front panel controls by selecting the Lock Fr. Panel in the PARENTAL CONTROL menu and press OK (box won't have check mark).Buttons don't work • If you're using the remote control, press the TV button first to make sure the remote is in TV mode.• The front panel controls may be locked (disabled). Use the remote control to unlock the front panel controls by selecting the Lock Fr. Panel in the PARENTAL CONTROL menu and press OK (box won't have check mark).• Unplug the TV for two minutes and then plug it back in. Turn the TV on and try again.TV turns off unexpectedly • Sleep timer might have been activated. Go to page 24 for instructions.• KidPass might have been activated. Go to page 21 for instructions.• Wake-Up timer turned on the TV and no remote or front panel buttons were pressed for two hours.• Electronic protection circuit may have been activated because of a power surge. Wait 30 seconds and then turn on again. If this happens frequently, the voltage in your house may be abnormally high or low. • Unplug TV. Wait five minutes. Plug it in again.
Check to make sure that the power cord is plugged in. If it is, plug something else into that outlet to test and make sure that the outlet works (use a lamp or something that you know works). If the outlet doesn't work, check your breaker box for a popped breaker. If the outlet works, and you are sure the power cable is connected properly, then you need to return the TV to the store where you bought it. Most retailers have at least a 30 day return policy for defective merchandise.
Check the electrical outlet which the tv is plugged into. Make sure nothing is loose at the outlet as well as on the back of the tv where the power cable plugs in. Another thing to try is plug a different device into that same electrical outlet and see if it turns on. If it doesn't turn on, it could be a faulty electrical outlet.If you've tried both the remote & the power button on the tv, a shot in the dark would be to change the batteries in the remote. You could always try calling their tech support at 1-800-256-2487. A last resort would be to return the tv from where you purchased it.
first you need to do some troubleshooting, if you try turn it on with the remote, now try pressing the power button on the tv, check your power cord. Also try to do a power reset by disconnecting the cable from the power outlet, then press and hold down the power button on the tv not the remote for 30 seconds. release it plug it in to the power outlet and try to turn it on. If the issue continues, then your power supply board is damaged.
Not trying to offend you here at all, but ....
1. Plug something else into the same outlet and verify that the outlet works.
2. Look at the power cord for any damage like wear and tear near either end of the cord.
3. Once its plugged in see if you can turn it on using the power button on the front panel (not the remote)
4. If it came on using the power button then there is not a problem with the TV.
5. If it did not come on then Sorry I can't help.
6. If it did come on then make sure the "tv" button near the top of the remote (assuming its the original remote) was pressed before pressing the power button on the remote.