v5000V (now obsolete and retired at HP,no support) (tiny)
11 years old now.! (doing site searches i did find the 1 book)
well good, you ran it with no main battery , very good.
they do go bad often and short out inside, so leave it out until the PC runs perfect again,. ok? 11 year old batteries are well, BAD NEWS.
but what does the screen do?, tell about the screen , the LEDs tell very little and get confused easy, see last paragraph below.
the screen must show text that is first
of all fact with fan, the fan must blow and not be packed up with lint like all are this old and never SERVICED.
next is what, the RTC coin cell. will be dead.
ill make a list , for you, for laptops only.
- big battery out, leave it out, run an AC only pack.
- new coin cell,? RTC ? Page 102, ,, http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00700903.pdf
- fan must blow, does it>??? and free if lint all vents and fan.?
- screen must show text turned on now, does it>?
- yes, good , no bad, no means CCFL dead. CCFL are backlamps and all PC this old used daily the lamps are now bad, on all of them or dim, or yellow'd or blinking or intermittent. ALL DO THAT NOW. until 2010 LED born.
- yes good ,you got text then we test BIOS next. page 210, "hit f10 to enter setup" < see that , that is the text you saw for 11 years but not today. that is text, and the F10 key works, and takes you to BIOS screens, does it?, if not do line 2 above.
I will stop here, no OS stated
is this XP? or VISTA?
after step 6 works we can do windows tests.,hdd test, etc.
the first step on all HP LT
is the HP long reset. (posted millions of times at real HP forum)
1: main battery out.
2: line pack AC removed.
3: hold the hp power-button for 10 to 30 seconds
now run on ac only. run now?
one other clue is beeps and blinks of Caplock Led keys, codes
never ignore blink codes.
page 13 in the above manual covers the battery lamp but the battery needs to be kept out, its 11 years old do no use it.
lamp led 1 is power, (does this glow?) if not power pack issues.
if led 1 blinks that means it needs the long reset above.
lamp led 2, is battery , no matter, battery is out. for sure.
here is dead laptop page.
seem you are stuck at step 5 to me.
step 11 below page,see that, it's the flash light test !@
getting the PC to boot is last, its the last in the serial chain of events. (and a whole other bag of snakes)