POST warning message 2010 after BIOS upgrade or hard drive installation - ThinkPad General
Applicable countries and regions
After a BIOS upgrade or installation of a new hard drive, the following error message may appear at POST: ERROR
2010:Warning: Your internal hard disk drive (HDD) may not function correctlyon this system. Ensure that your HDD is supported on this system andthat the latest HDD firmware is installed. Press <Esc> to continue
Press <F1> to Setup
The system appears to boot normally after escape
is pressed and the operating system will load.
This message may occur on any system that uses the Intel 915 Expresschip set. This new chipset uses a different hard drive interfacetechnology (Serial ATA) to address the hard drive. Models specifically included are of the following systems:
- ThinkPad R52 systems
- 1846, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1850, 1858, 1859, 1860, 1861, 1862, 1863, 1870
- ThinkPad T43 systems
- 1871, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876, 2668, 2669, 2678, 2679, 2686, 2687
- ThinkPad X41 systems
- 1864, 1865, 2525, 2526, 2527, 2528
- ThinkPad X41 Tablet systems
There are three possible workarounds to eliminate the error:
- Update the hard drive firmware to the latest level. Download the hard drive firmware update, and then apply to your hard drive.
Note: This update requires a floppy disk drive.
- Replace the hard drive with one supported by the system being used.
- Usethe hard drive, producing the 2010, error in the Ultrabay of the systemor a docking station with the second hard drive adapter instead. Theinterface to the Ultrabay is parallel ATA. For more information visit, ThinkPad Second Hard Drive Adapter for Ultrabay Slim - Overview
This error is purposely generated to alert the user to potentialproblems with diagnostic or copy tools. There are known issues withseveral of these listed below.
- Disk Fitness Test (DFT) version 3.xx provided byHitachi GST which uses vendor specific commands on the hard drive.These may not be correctly interpreted since they must pass through theserial to parallel ATA bridge. However, version 4.00 or later of theDisk Fitness Test (DFT) will work.
- HDDTEST version 0.28 by Hitachi GST does not function properly for similar reasons. Instead, use HDDTEST version 0.29 or later.
- DOS-basedcopy tools may function slowly or produce incorrect output,specifically previous versions of Norton/Symantec Ghost. These versionsare not compatible with the Serial-ATA interface of the Intel ICH6Mchip set. Documentation on this problem may be found atwww.symantec.com. It is recommended to use either a newer version ofGhost, Norton Ghost 2003 (version 2003.789 or later) or Symantec Ghost8.0 or later, or to use the -FNI switch when invoking Ghost from thecommand prompt (For example, Ghost.exe -FNI with the current version of Ghost).
Other disk copy tools and related applications, such as some backup programs, may also have similar behavior. Thehard drives shipped in the affected systems will not display themessage because they already have firmware that recognizes this newSerial ATA bridge chip. However, a similar drive from an earlierThinkPad system or an OEM drive might cause the error message to bedisplayed. Customers may also notice the POST error message afterapplying a ThinkPad BIOS update if a drive without the firmware updateis installed in the system. Some early systems were shipped with asystem BIOS version that did not provide this POST error message.Updated BIOS has been released to provide this informative POST errormessage to users.