- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Here's the link to download the Lexmark X7170 User's Guide: http://bit.ly/c8EHEn. Go to Faxing for the instructions on how to go through the settings on the printer. For setting the printer to ring to answer at 0, set it to pickup on the 1st ring. To turn off the distinctive ring, set the ring pattern to any. Hope this helps.
Just to set your expectation, MagicJack phone service may work but Lexmark does not recommend the printer to be connected to a digital phone signal (e.g. MagicJack, Vonage, etc.) since there are lots of jitter and packet loss in the transmission signal resulting to fax failures. The Lexmark fax machine will have its optimum performance when connected to an analog signal(regular telephone line). But here's how to configure the printer's baud rate. From the Control Panel, press Settings(wrench icon)> Fax Setup, hit Ok > Dialing and Sending, hit Ok > Max Send Speed, hit Ok > set down the speed to 9600 bps. Hope this helps. If you need more assistance, leave a comment and I'll get back to it. Thanks.
The baud rate is usually determined by the receiving machine. When one fax contacts another, they negotiate their send/receive rates. That's an automatic function and not generally adjustable on modern faxes.
# Lower the fax transmission speed to 14400 or even 9600 bps, as some older fax machines are not capable of receiving a fax at a high speed. To do so:
1. Press the Fax button, then press Options untill it gets to ADVANCED FAX. 2. Press Select. 3. Press Options untill it getsl MAX SEND SPEED appears on the LCD display. 4. Change it to 9600 BPS using the - (left arrow) button. 5. Press Select.
# Turn off ECM (Error Correction Mode) by pressing the following keys on the operator panel:
1. Press the Fax button, then press Option untill it gets to ADVANCED FAX. 2. Press Select. 3. Press Options until ERROR CORRECTION appears on the LCD display. 4. Change the setting from On to Off using the + (right arrow) button. 5. Press Select. Note: Turning off this option makes it possible to receive a fax when the receiver fax machine does not support certain error correction modes.
HP Officejet 9100 All-in-One Series - Changing the Fax Baud Rate Parameters
It is possible to lower the transmission speed of the initial handshake of the HP Officejet 9100 to a lower value that may aid in compatibility and resolve 223, 232, and 283 errors. The following steps will walk you through configuring the setting. These are temporary settings. If the unit loses power, the settings need to be reconfigured.
From the front panel:
Press and hold the * key for 3 to 5 seconds until the display screen reads Test -001+ .
Enter in 620 on the key board, and press the Check Mark and the screen will read Cfg param id:
Enter the parameter ____ on the key board and press the Check Mark.
159 - Receiving Fax baud rate
153 - Transmitting Fax baud rate
The screen will read Cfg param val: 26
Enter in the value ____ and then press the Check Mark .
0 = V.17 14400
2 = V.17 9600
6 = V.29 9600
10 = V.27 2400
Screen will read Test -001+
Press the Reset button until you get back to Ready *