Question about Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
What is the fault code C1 mean for a Whirlpool Calypso washing machine.
"C1" is known as an Instantaneous Current Limit Error. This will occur when the Motor Controller detects a current spike of 26 amps or greater at the motor windings. Overloading the washer, excessive water and/or excessive suds can cause this problem.
The manufacturer recommends the following:
- Wash smaller loads and use the correct detergent (HE only for Calypso machines). NOTE: Make sure the HE detergent is not double or triple concentrated as this will also cause suds problems.
- Check for objects under the nunate plate. This is the wash plate. Sometimes clothing can get stuck under the plate and cause the motor to bind up. To remove the nunate plate, follow these instructions:
1. UNPLUG THE WASHER.
2. Open the washer top. Look along the front seam of the washer where the top meets the front. There are a couple of retaining clips (about 2" in from each side) that you will need to push in on with a putty knife while gently lifting up on the top to get the top to release. Carefully open the top and lay it back against the wall in a resting position. Make sure you support the lid so it doesn't fall open when you tilt the top back.
3. Remove the tub ring. This is the plastic donut shaped ring that sits on top of the wash tub. There will be a tab on either side of the outer tub near the back that you can use a screwdriver to release the tub ring. The ring is filled with fluid and is used to balance the tub. So, if you hear liquid sloshing around, this is normal.
4. Remove the center cone from the wash plate. Use a flat blade screwdriver and insert it into any of the slots available along the sides. Gently pry until it pops off. I say "gently", but you may have to use a little muscle to get it to come off. Sometimes they stick. Once the center cone is removed there will be a series of nuts under it.
5. Remove the nuts and the wash plate should lift out. Be careful not to damage the gasket under it. Clothing can get tangled in the leveler under the wash plate. This leveler should have a key on it. The wash plate will only go back in with this key mating to a slot on it. So, remember how you took it off. In addition, when putting the wash plate back on, make sure you tighten the nuts in a cross pattern and evenly tighten them as you go. This will ensure the gasket seats properly. Don't forget to put the tub ring back in.
- Check for objects stuck between the inner wash tub and the outer basket. NOTE: It is best to do this with the nunate plate removed. Use a flashlight to peer through the holes in the wash basket to see if anything is catching on the tub.
- Check the Motor Controller. You will need to determine if there is power getting the the board first and that the fuse on the board is good. If any components on the board are defective, the board has to be replaced. If you have power to the board and the fuse checks good, check for continuity between the Machine Controller and Motor Controller.
There is a tech sheet inside your washer along the interior cabinet (usually the front panel) that explains all these procedures to you. I would advise you to research the tech sheet for exact locations of the pin outs for the circuit boards. Its easier for you to view it rather than me explain it. If you need further assistance, please post back and let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted on Jul 03, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 02, 2015 | Washing Machines
Nov 09, 2010 | Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
Aug 24, 2010 | Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
Jun 14, 2010 | Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
Aug 18, 2009 | Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
Jul 21, 2009 | Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
Jul 04, 2009 | Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959K Top Load Washer
425 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!