My 360 only plays cds or dvd s wont play games please advise
Step 1: Inspect and clean your disc
Take a close look at the bottom side of your game, movie, or music disc (the side without a label or image). Are there scratches? Excessive scratches or smudges can prevent your console from reading the disc.
Clean your disc
1. Hold the disc by the edges without touching the top or bottom surfaces.
2. Using a soft, clean, slightly damp cloth, lightly wipe from the center of the disc outward.
Note Do not use solvents to clean the disc.
3. Once the disc is clean, load the disc into your console and see if the disc plays.
If the disc still does not play, try step 2.
Step 2: Try other discs
Try other discs to determine whether the problem happens with any disc or only with this particular disc.
If multiple game discs, DVDs, or CDs will not play:
1. Make sure the media type and the disc region code are compatible with the console.
2. If the problem happens with several discs of different types (games, DVDs, and CDs), skip to “Step 7: Request a repair” below.
If a specific game disc will not play:
1. Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if the game title has any known problems.
2. Make sure the media type and the disc region code are compatible with the console.
If the disc you are using has a region code that is compatible with your console but you still cannot play the disc, try step 3.
Step 3: Clear your system cache
If your Xbox 360 console can’t play multiple game discs, try clearing your system cache. Here’s how:
1. On the console, go to My Xbox, and then select System Settings.
2. Select Memory.
3. Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller.
4. Select Clear System Cache.
Note If Clear System Cache is not available, use the button sequence described in the following article:
971755 How to clear the Xbox 360 console cache
5. Try to play a game disc.
If you still can’t play a game disc, try step 4.
Step 4: Remove the hard drive
If the problem only happens with game discs, let’s try temporarily removing your hard drive. If your Xbox 360 console does not have a hard drive, skip to step 5.
1. Turn off your console.
2. Locate the hard drive on your console.
3. Press the release button on the hard drive and lift the hard drive from the console.
4. Turn on your console.
5. Try to play a game disc.If this step resolves the problem, reattach the hard drive and contact Xbox support to order a replacement hard drive.
If this step resolves the problem, reattach the hard drive and contact Xbox support to order a replacement hard drive.
If you still can’t play game discs, try step 5.
Step 5: Disconnect memory units
1. Turn off your console.
2. Unplug any memory units attached to your console.
3. Turn on your console.
4. Try playing a game.
If this step resolves the problem, reattach the memory units and contact Xbox support to order a replacement memory unit.
Feb 15, 2010 |
Microsoft Xbox 360 Console