Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
My micrewave will not heat up is the coil bad or do they have fuses?
Generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:
- bad door switches or door switch mounts
- loose connection at the magnetron
- problem or loose connection on the control unit circuit board
- bad magnetron or other high voltage part (such as a shorted diode)
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jul 01, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 01, 2015 | GE Microwave Ovens
Mar 17, 2013 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Jul 07, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
simple safety test.
Place 1/2 litre of water in a glass container. Measure the temperature of the water.
Place in microwave and heat on full power for 1minute.
Measure the temperature after it has stood for 1minute.
If the temperature difference is more than 9 degrees Celcuis the magnetron is working and producing about 700Watts of heat.
If your microwave is labelled with 900 or 1000Watts. That is about right.
If the temperature is less then the magnetron is not working properly and may need replacing.
This a only a rough guide and any doubts you should consult an authorised service agent.
Feb 12, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 29, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 06, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens
Feb 03, 2009 | Whirlpool GH8155XM Microwave Oven
Feb 03, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jan 20, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 18, 2007 | Emerson MW8627W Microwave Oven
129 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: