Question about Seagate (ST3160827AS) 160 GB Hard Drive
my new external disc is not regagnised,in my windows x p .pls help me
Seagate ... best hard drive technology...
If it is new, then blow away the partition and format it:
1. Right-click [My Computer]
2. Click on [Manage]
3. Click on [Disk Management]
4. Find your new external hard drive in the list and / or in the graph.
5. If you are sure, then you can either format the disk partition or delete / create a new partition then format it.
6. Try "format" ... answer "yes" to the scary message.
7. Do an NTFS "quick format"
8. You can assign a drive letter if you wish, otherwise it will probably be Drive D
Let us know if this works / doesn't work.... thanks!
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
Posted on Sep 29, 2009
Go to My computer right click chose manage open Disk management and activate and format hard disc
Posted on Sep 29, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 16, 2012 | Toshiba Canvio Plus 320 GB 2.0 Portable...
Apr 12, 2012 | Samsung M2 PORTABLE 320GB USB20 HARD DRIVE...
May 20, 2011 | Iomega 1TB Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Mar 13, 2011 | Fujitsu (MJA2320BH) 320 GB SATA 3 Hard...
Nov 06, 2010 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
May 08, 2010 | Iomega Silver USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Apr 12, 2010 | Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 500GB, 7200 RPM,...
Jan 22, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Sep 17, 2009 | Transcend StoreJet 2.5 (TS120GSJ25T) 120...
Feb 02, 2009 | Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 500GB, 7200 RPM,...
68 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: