Question about Computers & Internet
The printer works at times, but sometimes it says "No connection" and all cables, USB ports are all connected. I usually disconnect and reconnect, and at times that solves the problem. I even recently purchased a new USB cable and it still said no connection. What is the problem?
I assume that your printer is connected to a network. if so, it could be that the printer is set to use dhcp for the ip address. and if that's the case, it's better to set the printer to use static ip address since there would come a time that the dhcp server (a router most of the time) would provide another ip addresses to all the devices connected to it. that could be the reason why you are getting a "no connection" message (disconnecting and reconnecting it at times would solve the problem temporarily).
here are the steps on how to set static ip on the printer using a windows computer.(Note: the installation cd can automatically assign a static IP address as long as the printer does not obtain a dynamic (dhcp) address)
- boot up your computer the normal way so it'll get an ip address from your dhcp server
- then turn off your dhcp server so that the printer will not get any ip address via dhcp
- reset the printer to set its factory default configuration (with no dhcp address)
* unplug the printer from the power
* plug the power cord back in while holding in the printer’s
report button (it will try to find a dhcp server; after about three
minutes of no dhcp response, the printer will default to a static ip address of 22.214.171.124
- then print a configuration page to confirm that the ip address of the printer is set to 126.96.36.199
- then press the report button (wait until IP address is 188.8.131.52 before proceeding. if it remains set to 0.0.0.0, check the network cable connection to the printer and to the network is secure. If some other address appears repeat steps 3 and 4 until the default address appears
- you can now start the software installation cd
*during the installtion, follow these steps:
- select the model of the printer that you are using which is hp officejet before clicking on "next"
- then select "do network settings for me, then press "next
*follow the instructions on the remaining install screens
- the software will pick an ip address in the private 169.254.x.x range (not available on the open Internet) and permanently assign it to the printer. it will also set up a static route to that address in the computer’s printer configuration
- turn the dhcp server back on by turning on the dhcp server by
connecting your cable/dsl modem or dhcp to the network. because the hp now has a permanent static ip address, it will
no longer try to use dhcp server to get an address
- install the software on the other computers on the network who will be using the printer. the installation software will discover the hp printer at the 169.254.x.x address, and will add the static IP address in each computer’s printer configuration
Note: if the installation cd will permit you to change th private ip address from 169.24.x.x, it's better to set it on the same range as of the ip address given by your dhcp server (for example your dhcp server provides ip addresses starting from 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.250, set the printer's ip address to 192.168.1.59-below or any ip address that will not compromise any ip addresses that were already being used by your other devices)
hope this'll help you but if you'll have other concerns just ask me.
Posted on Jun 28, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 04, 2015 | HP OFFICEJET PRO 6830 E-ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
Jun 09, 2011 | HP OfficeJet 6310 All-in-One Printer...
Sep 12, 2010 | HP Officejet 4355 All-In-One InkJet...
Apr 19, 2010 | HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless All-In-One...
Mar 14, 2010 | HP Officejet 4315v All-In-One InkJet...
Sep 05, 2009 | HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One InkJet...
Aug 25, 2009 | HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One InkJet...
Jul 30, 2009 | HP OfficeJet 6110 All-In-One InkJet...
Jul 02, 2009 | HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One InkJet...
Dec 12, 2008 | HP OfficeJet r40 InkJet Printer
Apr 25, 2018 | The Computers & Internet
317 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: