To recreate your problem, I have setup the my Visor with no username, placed it in the cradle, and connected the cradle via USB port.
In this configuration, I do receive the same error message that you reported. Multiple issues can cause this error to be generated.
1. Place your Prism in the blue charging cradle. Confirm that the green charging LED is flashing or illuminated (below the power button on the Prism). If the green LED is not lit, then reposition the Prism until it is. If the green LED still doesn't illuminate then check the cradle and it's connectors for dirt and debris. Also check the copper connectors on the Prism for dirt and debris.
2. Depress the grey HotSync button on the charging cradle. The error message will appear. Press OK to clear the error display. If nothing happens when you press the grey button you need to check the copper connectors in the blue cradle and the bottom edge of the Prism for dirt and debris.
3. Check the upper right hand corner of the Prism display for the HotSync application. If any characters appear on the top line, opposite the HotSync header, then that is your username. If no characters are present, then there is no username in the PDA.
Regardless of whether there is a username in the Prism, the HotSync should still be possible. Once you successfully connect the cradle to the USB port and successfully connect to the desktop computer, a popup window will ask you to Create or Select the HotSync User.
Do you receive this popup window on the PC?
If not, your setup or connection probably has an issue.
4. Look at the Prism HotSync screen. Underneath the HotSync icon in the center of the display is a Drop Down selection. The options are
a. Direct USB/Serial
b. IR to a PC/Handheld
Since you are using the cradle, you should select option a.
Once you have confirmed this setup, you need to confirm the desktop computer setup.5. Be sure to start the HotSync Manager Application on the desktop computer.
6. Left Click on the desktop computer HotSync Icon in the system tray, and confirm that Local USB has a checkmark beside it.
7. Depress the grey HotSync button on the charging cradle again. If the HotSync popup still does not appear on the desktop computer, left click on the HotSync icon and uncheck Local, Modem Network and Infrared and then depress the HotSync Button again.
There is a hidden method in the Prism for deleting the user name.
- Open the Memo application on your Prism.
- Tap New.
- Enter the ShortCut character.
- Enter a period '.'
- Enter the number 5.
Whether you entered the shortcut character, period and 5 correctly or
not, the characters you've entered will disappear and the memo pad will
remain blank. To see if you succeeded:
- Depress the Grey HotSync button on the cradle
- Your user name appears in the upper right corner of the
screen: if it's blank, then your user name has been deleted. The next
time you HotSync with this device, you will be asked to create a new
Note: Creating a new User name, will not affect the data stored in the Prism, other than initializing the user name.
There is a freeware application to Change the user name on the Prism, but you would need to HotSync to the desktop or beam the application from another Palm PDA to install it.