A handyman replacing wall sockets/plugs in my kitchen caused a spark, now my microwave (GE spacemaker JVM1440WD) shows XXXXX in the control panel & no buttons work..as if there is no power. I tried resetting the circuit breaker and that did not work. What did he do? Is there an internal fuse? Help!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 10,000 points.
Re: no power, no working buttons for microwave
Even if there is an internal fuse, I doubt if that is the problem since as you posted, there is display albeit "XXXXX" which indicates that power is coming in. Should you still be interested, the fuse would normally be on the top right part inside an aluminum plate (air guide bracket) covered by the grill right above the door.
You can try a hard reset hoping that it is just a software glitch by unplugging from the mains for an hour or so to dissipate whatever electricity is stored inside. assuming ho hardware fault, this should revert the unit back into factory defaults.
If the fuse appears OK and the reset does not prove to be corrective, then it is likely that the electronic circuit board inside has been fried. Since this involves a bit of familiarity with electronic components and circuitry, use of a DVM and possibly soldering, perhaps your best bet would be to seek the services of a qualified professional. Alternately, should you venture a DIY, you could try asking for parts replacement and further instructions from here.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
check the breaker, or check if the wall socket works. If there is power, then you need to take it for service. There are no user service options for microwaves as they are so dangerous for both super high voltage and also microwave emission. Some models do have a pull fuse on the rear, so check for that first.
Remove a GE Spacemaker
The GE Spacemaker series of microwave ovens are designed to be installed above an oven range, freeing up counter space in your kitchen. Some of these Spacemaker models are connected to an outside venting system to carry kitchen vapor and odors outside. Other Spacemaker models utilize a ductless system to do this. Removing a GE Spacemaker microwave oven isn't a difficult task, but, because of the size of some of the oven models, it is a two-man operation. Have a question? Get an answer from an appliance repair specialist now!
Open the cabinet above where the Spacemaker microwave oven is installed. If you see a vent in the cabinet leading to the Spacemaker oven below, your Spacemaker is vented. This vent needs to be disconnected before continuing with removal. Disconnect the vent either by loosening the duct clamps or by cutting the duct tape away with a sharp knife. Pull the vent out of the top of the oven.
Have an assistant support the oven from below. Loosen the mounting screws connected to the Spacemaker through the cabinet bottom. Loosen the screws by turning counterclockwise with the Phillips screwdriver.
Unplug the Spacemaker from the socket in the cabinet.
Continue loosening the screws while your assistant holds the oven in place. Once the screws are removed, have your assistant slowly lower the Spacemaker down by lowering the front face at a 45-degree angle.
Feed the power cable for the Spacemaker through the hole in the bottom in the supporting cabinet.
Help your assistant slowly pull the Spacemaker forward and out of the mounting brackets on the rear wall. Once the Spacemaker is cleared of the mounting cabinet and rear wall, set it down.
Remove the mounting bracket from the rear wall by loosening the screws.
TO MAKE YOUR MICROWAVE WORK AS REQUIRED BY YOU.TAKE THE RESET STEP
4 Perform a hard reset. Pull the plug out of the wall power supply, and wait a moment. Plug the GE microwave back into the wall power supply to reset any anomalies with the microwave's memory. You will need to reset the time of day if you perform a hard reset.
5 Reset the time of day. Press the "Clock" button, and turn the dial to set the hours. Press the dial to enter. Follow the same procedure for the minutes and a.m. or p.m. Press the "Start" button to start the clock.
could use a little more detail.
when u have no display screen the solutions are.
* A fuse in your home may be blown or the circuit breaker tripped.
A. Replace fuse or reset circuit breaker
* Power surge.
A. Unplug the microwave oven, then plug it back in.
* Plug not fully inserted into wall outlet
A. Make sure the 3-prong plug on the oven is fully inserted into wall outlet.
* Door not securely closed.
A. Open the door and close securely.
There must be a short in the wiring between the bulb sockets and the power supply or control board. Otherwise the short may be in the bulb sockets themselves. I would test the connections to make sure the wires aren't loose and all solder joints are tight. If all wires look good, and bulb sockets are tight, then the problem may be faulty capacitor
Have you checked the fuse in the plug? Also there is an internal fuse that you have to remove the outer casing to get at. Please make sure the power is off and the plug is removed from wall socket before you start and do not power up until the casing is back on. Hope this helps.
The control circuits for the cooktop lights and the hood fan are spearate. The problem is indeed with the control unit.
It's usually caused by either the filaments shorting when the lamp blows or by removing or installing the bulbs while the oven is still plugged into the power line.
We regularly repair these nationwide for $32.50.
Details of our service, as well as *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
I had same problem last week. My GE JVM1650 Spacemaker stopped after a few seconds of heating. Owned 16 months, manufactured Jan 2005. It was the magnetron, which was replaced yesterday. The magnetron has a 10-year warranty, but I had to pay $161.00 for labor by a GE technician. The call-out fee was waived at my request. I don't know what that amount would have been, but I can't believe the $161.00 for what was about 1/2 hour labor once diagnosed. Good Luck!