Question about Microwave Ovens
Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.
The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.
It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!
In some models it is a larger stirrer cover type made of thicker plastic in the ceiling of the oven.
The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.
If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.
Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.
If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced.
Please write back with your brand and model number if you need further help.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 29, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
on Feb 06, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Feb 26, 2013 | Emerson Microwave Ovens
Dec 31, 2011 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Nov 20, 2011 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Feb 26, 2010 | GE JVM1490 Convection/Microwave Oven
Feb 21, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 30, 2008 | Whirlpool GH7145XF Microwave Oven
74 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!