You will be required to run an
audio setup wizard through the messenger application in order for MSN
or Windows Live Messenger to recognize sound using a microphone and
produce sound through speakers, headphones, or headsets.
The information in this article will describe the correct procedure
to setup audio and video within the MSN or Windows Live Messenger
application to achieve proper audio functionality.
The information in this article applies to the following 3rd party software
MSN Messenger 6.x
MSN Messenger 7.x
Window Live Messenger 8.5
The information in this article applies the following platforms
Note: The information in this article is not product specific. For
details regarding camera driver and operating system support please see article 3428
Step 1: Getting Started
Before we begin setting up the sound in MSN or Windows Live Messenger, ensure the following is complete:
Step 2: Executing the audio and video setup procedure within the messenger application
- Connect your camera and verify that it is working properly
- If using headphones, verify that your device is connected and functioning
- If using speakers, verify that they are functioning properly
- If using a headset, verify that both the headphone and microphone are connected and working properly.
This procedure will allow you to assign an audio input and audio
output device, as well as assigning the video device of your choice to
work with the messenger application. The following example uses Windows
Live Messenger 8.5 however, the same procedure can be used for earlier
versions of MSN Messenger 6.x and above. MSN Messenger users please
skip directly to step 4 below.
Note to Windows Live Messenger users: There
are multiple ways to execute the following steps depending on being
signed in vs signed out of the messenger application, and which version
of Windows Live Messenger is being used. To avoid confusion, please
execute the following steps while signed out. We also recommend
updating to the latest version of Windows Live Messenger.
1. Sign out of your account.
2. Launch the messenger application (make sure you are not signed in to your account).
3. Locate and click the "Help" drop down button towards the top right corner and select "Show the menu bar"
4. Now click the "Tools" option in the menu bar and select the “Audio and Video Setup” option.
5. Click “Next to begin the setup process.
6. In the “Speaker Setup” window, select the output device you would
like to use with the messenger application. This step is specific to
speakers or headphones. If your speakers or headphones are USB devices
and connected to your computer, select the device by using the drop
down menu provided. If your speakers or headphones are connected to
your soundcard, the device listed will be the make or model of your
You can also set the desired volume level and click “Play Sound” for
an audio sample. Click "Next" once you are comfortable with the your
7. In the “Microphone Setup” window, select your desired input device from the drop down menu provided.
This selection will be specific to a microphone connected to your
computer. If your Logitech video camera has a built-in microphone, this
option will be presented as “Logitech Mic” with your camera model name
in parentheses as shown above.
If you have an external USB microphone or headset device connected
to your computer that hosts a microphone, select the devices name or
model number in the drop down menu. If your external microphone or
headset is connected to your soundcard, the device listed will be the
make or model of your soundcard device. Once your device is selected,
adjust the microphone volume level to your preference and click next.
Note: The microphone volume level may need to be tested in order
to find a comfortable volume level. As a starting point, try setting
the level midway and adjust when necessary by re-executing this
8. In the “Webcam Setup” window, select the video device you would like
to use with messenger application. Once selected, you should see a
display sample in the window provided. You can also click the “Options”
button to make camera specific adjustments. Once completed, click the
“Finish” button to apply your changes.
Once you have completed this process, the messenger
application should now be configured to the correct audio input
(microphone), audio output (speakers or headphones), and video device
(webcam) to use when engaging in an audio and or video conversation.