When my MDA is plugged in for charging, the
orange indicator light comes on for about 10 seconds, then begins
flashing. When flashing, battery life goes down and the MDA begins to
heat up. The problem is not in the charger nor the battery (have
tried known good chargers and batteries). The problem is within the MDA. How is this situation remedied?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I had the same problem, but got the idea to "jump start" the battery from Googling the problem. At night, I had turned off my MDA to charge the battery and then in the morning, couldn't revive it. I removed the battery from my MDA, and determined which battery terminal was positive (far end of one side) and negative (far end of the other side) by using a multi-meter. BTW: Battery was still @ 3.5V (okay…battery was still alive, if just barely). Then, I found a 5V DC charger (5W Max output = ~1A) from my bluetooth headset. I used one wire (CAT5E) and connected it to the negative side of the adapter (outer sleeve - again, verified by multi-meter) and another wire to connect to the positive tip of the adapter. I had to strip about 1/2-inch of the insulation off of the wire on the DC adapter side, and about 1/8-inch of the wire on the battery side. Plugged in the 5V DC charger and then I touched the negative wire to the negative battery terminal and held it there, while I touched the positive wire to the positive battery terminal for about 30-45 seconds. Put the battery back in the MDA, started it up, and now it's charging on the regular MDA AC Charger that came with the phone. Problem solved.
Make sure you have an original OEM charger for the MDA. Many of the knock off chargers don't provide the right amperage for the device. What happens is that since the phone is completely dead, it can't regulate how many amps the battery should get during the charge and an incorrect charge current won't charge the battery. I'm guessing that someone sold you a Motorola RAZR charger or another knockoff made for the RAZR. This might charge your phone when the battery is working, but not when it's DEAD. Also you won't have luck plugging it into a computer USB cable because, again, the phone can't tell the computer what charge to send and most computers only produce <0.5 amps in the USB port.
Get a charger that states it is an OEM (original eqipment manufacturer) device or one that is specifically designed for the MDA (or Cingular 8125). eBay is full of them.
Okay, I searched and searched until I found a solution that worked for me. I tried the USB thing, I got my phone to turn on once, but never to charge. Here's what I did:
(Do this at your own risk) I zapped my battery with a 9v battery. One wire on each terminal and then held it to the MDA battery (positive to positive, negative to negative) for about three seconds. I did this about five times. (Don't let the wires touch while they are connected to the 9v battery.) I IMMEDIATELY plugged my phone into a wall charger, NOT my computer (The computer wouldn't charge my phone). As soon as it was connected to the wall charger, I turned it on. After starting up, the orange light came on, and it started charging. I was skeptical about this solution at first, but trying everything else I resolved to do this and then if it didn't work buy a new battery, but it worked and my MDA is charging as I'm typing. The original ideal came from a post on the xda-developers website by dew1989. I added the additional steps that got my battery charging again. I hope this helps!