Question about Goldstar MV-1615 Microwave Oven
I have a model MV-1610 ST that is close to 2 years old. It stopped heating one day when my wife was heating a cup of coffee. Later in the day my son tried using it again and it did not heat and a burning smell was noted.
I pulled the unit an have taken it apart and have found no evidence of any loose connections or other problems. The only evidence of heat I found was the tag on the capacitor is discolored. We attempted to run the unit and it makes a humming noise from the transformer and we noted that the resistor on the capacitor was starting to smoke and is thus the source of the electrical burning smell.
Could the capacitor be bad? Could the resistor be bad? Where could I find these replacement parts? Is there anywhere I could get a technical repair manual for this unit?
That wouldn't be a resistor on the capacitor, it would be the high voltage rectifier diode.
It should read open on a continuity check. A shorted high voltage diode is a fairly common cause of a no-heat condition.
For testing, see: http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
To order the part, and for other Goldstar / LG / L.G. help, call 1-800-243-0000 (M-F, 7am-8pm CT, Sat 8-5 CT) and choose the appropriate prompt from the menu or visit http://www.lgservice.com.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 22, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 28, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 08, 2012 | Sanyo Microwave Ovens
Mar 07, 2012 | LG Microwave Ovens
Oct 21, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens
Dec 14, 2008 | Goldstar MV-1615 Microwave Oven
Sep 22, 2008 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven
Aug 07, 2008 | LG MV-1444Y Microwave Oven
Apr 26, 2008 | Goldstar MV-1526 Microwave Oven
207 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: