Hp Ink System Failure
: Ink System has failed. Unable to print. Refer to Printer documentation. Error: “0xc18a…”
Products that may encounter this problem:
(A survey based on Fixya.com database)
C6180, C6288, C3210, C3310, C5180, C7280, C6188, D7460, C8250, C7180,
C5183, C6288, C7268, C6150, C7360, C7160,c309a, C6380 . (Ink System
As you can see, only Photosmarts encounter this problem, however
that does not mean that other HP printers types wont be affected.
Common Error Codes:
0xc19axxxx, 0xc18a0001, 0xc18a030a, 0xc19a003f, 0xc18a0201, 0xc19a0003,
0×05d1281, oxc18a0307, 0xc18a101, 0xc052281, 0xc05d0281, 0xc18a0306,
0xc19ac3ff, 0xc18a0101, 0xc19a0031, 0xc18a0007, 0xc18a506
When you have one these error messages on your printer screen there are
two things that you need to consider to enlighten yourself on what to
do when you are in this kind of situation.
Is your product in warranty or out of warranty?
For In-Warranty products, please do not do any self troubleshooting.
Immediately contact HP technical support to have them troubleshoot the
problem for you. In most cases, printers with these error messages are
replaced but you must also be patient and follow the technical
support’s instructions and basic troubleshooting. I recommend you to
read our article on how to contact HP technical phone support.
For Out-of-Warranty products, I am afraid you have to exert extra
effort to be able to resolve this issue on you HP printer. Below are
ways that I recommend to resolve this.
You need to do some basic troubleshooting steps below and hope that it would fix the problem.
- Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the product, but leave the product turned on.
- Open the cover of the product and remove the print cartridges.
- Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message to display.
- Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product and the wall socket, then wait for one minute.
- Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button.
- Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges.
- Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page.
- Print a Self Test to verify product is functional.
- Reconnect the USB cable, and try to print from the computer.
- If the error is still there continue reading…
Generally, when you have this type of error message displayed on your printer screen your printer may be permanently damage, resetting your hp printer
may fix it in some cases but it is almost certain that the problem wil reoccur.
“0xC18′ errors may also mean that the printer’s temperature is below
40F/5C.. Try warming up the printer and try again. If you have reached
this part already and still the problem is not yet fixed, do not worry
I still have 3 more suggestions to help you with this problem.
1. Chat for free in real time with an HP online support agent
. Hopefully, HP can be able to support you on this.
2. I have stumbled upon a solved problem at fixya wherin user
SagarJD was able to provide a special reset for the ink system and was
able to successfully solve the ink system failure with error:OXC18a0205
. You can try following his procedure.
3. If you have reached this part already, then most probably your
product’s Ink System is permanently damaged and it is certainly
unrecoverable. Servicing the printer is not what I recommend on this.
Instead, I suggest you call HP tech support and upgrade your printer to
By the way, there is another way. By now you are getting ready to
replace your printer, right? Why don’t you this last solution, and try
it to resolve this issue. This step is only intended for
OUT-OF-WARRANTY products ONLY as doing this step on IN-WARRANTY
products can VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Do this step at your own risk.
There is a CMOS battery inside your printer that keeps track on your
printer’s history. Ink replacements, resets, etc… Try resetting the
data stored on your Hp product by removing the CMOS battery and then
putting it back in after 30 minutes. Unfortunately I could not tell
where you can find this battery inside your product as location differs
for different products but here’s what the battery should look like
inside your printer.