Question about Whirlpool GH8155XM Microwave Oven

Open Question

Outside of Microwave getting hot

Should I be worried if when the microwave is on the outside gets very warm, almost hot?

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • Anonymous Oct 15, 2008

    my microwave feels so hot on the top and sides that I almost can't touch it.

  • louisericson Dec 16, 2008

    My GE microwave is 1 1/2 hrs. old and it was very hot on the outside tonight after running it for about 15 minutes on high. I don't remember noticing that it has been hot before - is it okay or normal or should I stoop using it?



  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    Is it still heating evenly?




×

5 Suggested Answers

  • 899 Answers

SOURCE: would not heat, now outside gets hot

yes! , this is dangerous , be cause it sounds like the magnetron that sends out the microwaves may not be controlled , thus heating the outside and will be sending waves out of the microwave!
you will need a qualified electronic repair shop to deal with this, these microwaves are very dangerous and that unit should not be used untill it has been fixed , for the safety of you and anyone who uses or is around when in use.
these microwaves that are sent across the air to heat the food is burning it and it can do the same to you or any one who is around it while in use
even when in working normal conditions the waves still leak out some , so i always walk away when heating food in the microwave and i advise others to do the same
so the magnetron will need replaced and maybe another component but it needs to be tested to make sure nothing else is damaged also
hope my help has pleased you and that you can give me a fixya rating( all others hurt our rating) as i work on these and i know the symptoms that happen and the causes
again hope you can give me the fixya! , thanks , and if you need any other help, just ask me!

electech

Posted on Nov 10, 2008

  • 17 Answers

SOURCE: microwave gets very hot on

If it gets hot enough were it is uncoftable to lay your hand on it then there is most likely a problem. If it is a new unit I beleive I would return it. Good luck.

Posted on May 17, 2008

bobotfel
  • 236 Answers

SOURCE: Burning smell from Microwave

If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Posted on Dec 30, 2007

MicrowaveSvc
  • 8973 Answers

SOURCE: Whirlpool microwave MH1170xsy0 1000 watts

With the symptoms you mention, I would suspect:

- loose or corroded connection at the magnetron
- bad magnetron
- shorted high voltage diode

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Aug 21, 2008

IrishDruid
  • 2712 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave heating problems

Many over-the-range microwave ovens suffer from intermittent problems caused by excessive moisture from the range/stove entering the microwave cabinet and collecting on the circuitry. Often the problem is with one or two simple connections that may need tightening or soldering. But, to repair these components, the microwave cabinet needs to be opened. So we recommend that you seek the assistance of a qualified appliance repair technician.

Posted on Oct 03, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why is the outside panel hot to the touch?


Many factors at play here. Are you cooking on the range? Are you using the microwave? Is the light on?
There is very little current going to the touchpad and if there were a short in it the touch pad would not work. It is just heat from another source. Don't worry about it.

Dec 13, 2014 | Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave...

1 Answer

Is it normal for outside of microwave to get warm


It could bet warm after use. The is a lot of heat generated from running and the case would get warm after a few minutes of use.

Nov 12, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Use ifb microwave


You need to power down to 70% this will allow the inside
to heat as well.

Oct 11, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The sides are rather warm.just installed today.it is located in a cabinet like setting. the framing on the side is snug


Hi,
Here is a tip that I wrote about the reasons why the sides and/or seals couldbe getting hot on your refrigerator.

RefrigeratorTrouble The Outside of Refrigerator Hot
heatman101

Aug 28, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My ifb microwave oven is getting hot outside while


Normally when u cook food in microwave the fod is cooked by microwaves, which means the heat is generated with in food. The temperature inside is never too hot and all the heat produced is absorbed with in the food.

On the other hand when the grill is switched on, a separate heatting element gets switched on. You can see this red hot element on the top side of inside of microwave. the heat from this element gets transferred to food through air circulation. But partof heat also gets transferred to the walls of microwave oven. This is the reason the wall feel hot during use of grill.

As i see ther is no problem with the microwave itself. Jut kep delicate thngs a bit away from the microwave.

Oct 17, 2009 | LG Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave heats outside too.


This is normal. However, if you are worried that your microwave is old and may be leaking radiation you may want to replace it, as they are actually under one hundred dollars for the most part; or you can get a little microwave radiation test kit at home depot or lowes for about twenty dollars.

May 20, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Hello. i have a sharp carousel microwave i bought one year ago and now it is making a louder noise when it's cooking plus the outside of the microwave unit is getting very hot. what do you think is the...


this is the magnetron going bad and it is heating the outside and the inside(probably not so much on the inside right?) Well this is DANGEROUS now and i would no longer use it , as it is sending waves out and thats why it is getting hot , it will need professional service as microwaves are extreemly dangerous

Dec 01, 2008 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Why is the paint bubbling inside microwave


The paint or inside in my microwave oven was bubbling up. I didn't think much of it until my husband came down with tongue cancer. He didn't smoke or drink. The only thing that was strange was the way my microwave was bubbling up inside. We were given very grim news, but in time and by swithcing hospitals, my husband is now ok and has been cancer free for 5 years. If ever my microwaves start blubbling up, I throw them out, it wasn't worth the health hazards.

Oct 24, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool GH8155XM Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

6,634 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8973 Answers

sonic boom...
sonic boom...

Level 3 Expert

1557 Answers

Gerry Harvey
Gerry Harvey

Level 3 Expert

1456 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...