Question about Refrigerators

1 Answer

There is a black plastic tube that comes out of the back of my refigerator about half way between the top and bottom. It is leaking water where it comes out of the refrigerator. How can I repair the leak?

Posted by on

  • lewis2 Jun 28, 2008

    The black tube which drained water to the defrost pan was clogged with a slimey residue. I ran a small plastice pipe through the tube and rinsed with water. Thank you for your response.


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,462 Answers

Remove tube, cut off half an inch and refit using sealant

Posted on Jun 19, 2008

  • douglas smith Jun 28, 2008

    good idea to put a small jug of dilute bleach down the drain inside the fridge now and again. keeps it clean and stops this fault


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a LG GRL207QVJA Fridge Freezer and have a leak behind the water dispenser. How do I remove the control panel to get behind it so that I can replace the leaking tube?

Hello Adrian;

My name is Peter. I am a retired field service refrigeration technician.

You must be in the UK. I can not pull up any information on your unit, but I will try and walk you through this.

Hopefully the water leak is directly behind the dispenser. If you have water leaking out the bottom of the door, then you are going to have to replace the whole door. It water is leaking out of the bottom of the door then the insulation in the door is saturated. Over time the water in the door will freeze and crack you door liner open. There is no way to dry the insulation out. So, lets say this is not the case.

You either have a contact pad or a paddle arm in your dispenser housing. You may have a plastic curved piece at the top of the dispenser housing. It is held in by plastic clips. Squeeze this on both sides to release.

Up plug the refrigerator. Their are electrical components behind this housing. On the bottom of the housing frame are 2 small slots. With a flat head screw driver, pop the bottom of the housing out. On the sides and top of the frame are plastic clips. Push in on the sides of the frame to release. If you have a control board on the top back of the frame - remove the connectors. They are idiot proof. Each connector is designed to only fit a special plug. Set the frame assembly aside. You may have to remove a control board fixed to the housing, A contact switch housing and the housing itself. There are screws that go around the housing frame for removal.

On the bottom of the door there is a spring and a tubing connector. Push in on the end of the connector to release the tubing. You may have to remove a black locking ring on the connector first.

The tubing assembly you are replacing is available as a part.

Here is the hard part. Using a good adhesive tape, tape the top end of the new tubing to the bottom of the old tubing. Feed the tubing up from the bottom.

If you do not have slots on the bottom of the frame, you must push inward on the frame to release the frame from it plastic retaining clips.

Peter, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Oct 31, 2014 | Refrigerators

2 Answers

My Amana french door/bottom freezer is leaking water. Did the procedure with hot water the drain in back of the freezer, although it seemed clear of ice. That didn't help. The leaking stops when I...

Two possibilities:
1. A cracked plastic tube. These will leak whenever there's a call for water - either the chilled water dispenser, or re-filling the icemaker tray (two seperate tubes). Pay particular attention to anywhere the tubes are clamped to the chassis; anywhere they're routed near or under the refrigeration unit; and near the solenoid valve - especially if there's a tight loop in the tube there.
2. A bad (leaking) connection where one of the tubes exits the water valve. Again, these will leak whenever the valve is activated.

Those plastic tubes don't last forever. I've replaced many of them for the same symptoms. They're known to simply deteriorate with age.
Manuf's make good money selling replacement tubing kits.

Aug 15, 2011 | Amana AFB2534DE Bottom Freezer French Door...

1 Answer

Water leaking inside our fridge. kenmore fridge. about 8and a half years old.

There is a drain line that discharges water from the freezer when the defrost cycle kicks in. It will be a plastic tube that runs from the bottom of the freezer to a tray under the fridge. It has come loose or become plugged I always blow air thru the line and make sure it is not loose. You can also get leakage from an ice maker but this problem will usually show up as ice formingin the freezer first. good luck

Aug 10, 2010 | Kenmore 18.3 cu. ft. Top Freezer...

1 Answer

Water is leaking really badly underneath my Whirlpool refigerator.

I had this problem. Check you water line leading to your ice maker. the plastic section of it running up into the freezer cracks and leaks. easy fix, replace the tubing if it's leaking.

Jul 12, 2009 | Whirlpool Refrigerators

1 Answer

Replacing a water elbow in a Fridgidare model FRS26ZRFW1. Can't pull old plastic elbow off the existing tubing. Do I need to cut and push in? The tube is coming into the ice maker/water dispenser from the...

I went to Lowes and bought a new Elbow (2.49) and cut the lower tube right at base of elbow. Upper tube slid out. Pulled a little on bottom tube and replaces easily.

Jun 15, 2009 | Refrigerators

2 Answers

Refrigerator GE

We did take the tube off that went down the back of the refrigerator next to the condenser, do not know for sure if that will solve the problem as know we need time to determine if the leak has stopped

Aug 01, 2008 | Hotpoint FFA70 Bottom Freezer Refrigerator

1 Answer

GE GTH18KBM Refrigerator, top freezer ice-over trouble

It sounds like there is an issue with the drain tube from the freezer to the compressor pan. If it is open at the bottom then it will allow warm moist air to form an ice plug in the tube which will not allow water to flow out during a defrost, this will gradually build up then stop the freezer from functioning normally. This will be shown by large formation of clear solid/layered ice. Alternately if it is plugged with some foreign object then it will end up doing the same thing. The next time you do a defrost verify that there is water coming out to the pan at the compressor if not the tube will have to be cleared. The best way is compressed air but not too much since this is just a plastic tube. the obstruction should be blown out the top.

There should be a small trap on the bottom of the drain tube kind of like the one under the kitchen sink if it is not there then you will have to either make one or get one from your local parts dealer.

Jul 28, 2008 | Kenmore 73952 / 73954 / 73959 Top Freezer...

1 Answer

Water leaks from tube at the bottom of fridge for water dispenser only

If it is a plastic compression fitting you can tighten each one a little(careful not to tighten them too much cause they can strip out) Use a small crescent wrench with a back up wrench.

Jan 27, 2008 | Refrigerators

Not finding what you are looking for?
Refrigerators Logo

Related Topics:

49 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Refrigerators Experts

John Tripp
John Tripp

Level 3 Expert

4638 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers


Level 3 Expert

66744 Answers

Are you a Refrigerator Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides