Question about Acer Aspire 5610 Notebook
How Do I Change the Primary Master HDD User Password?
Prior to loading an operating system, your computer will first execute the BIOS program. The BIOS has an extra password feature, called the hard disk drive (HDD) user password, that can't be bypassed and provides a layer of defense to keep your data secure. To change an existing HDD user password you will have to load the BIOS menu, which is only accessible during the computer's operating system reboot procedure.
1. Close any windows that are currently open on your computer. Eject any discs inserted into the optical drive and disconnect any peripheral USB devices.
2. Open the "Start" menu and select "Shut Down." Turn on your computer once the operating system finishes shutting down.
3. Press the key your computer uses to load the BIOS menu. For example, with Dell computers tap "F2" when the "Press F2 for Setup" option appears. Press the "Access IBM" key on IBM laptops or "F10" on HP desktops.
4. Navigate to the BIOS tab that contains the HDD password option, which will usually be the "Security" tab. Some computer manufactures instead include the password option in the "Advanced" tab.
5. Scroll down to the option labeled either "User Password" or "BIOS lock" and hit "Enter." Type the current master HDD user password when the prompt appears and press "Enter."
6. Input a new HDD user password and hit "Enter" again. Navigate to the BIOS tab labeled "Exit" or something similar.
7. Move over to the "Save and Exit" entry and press "Enter." Select "Yes" and tap "Enter."
Posted on Nov 15, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 07, 2015 | Lifetime Acer Aspire 5610z Replacement...
Aug 30, 2011 | Acer Aspire 5600 Series 5630-6951 Laptop
Dec 20, 2010 | Acer Aspire 5610-4648 Notebook
Oct 07, 2010 | MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R (MS-6728-030)...
May 24, 2010 | Acer Aspire 5315-2713 Notebook
Jan 26, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook
Aug 11, 2008 | Acer Aspire 5610-4648 Notebook
Jun 13, 2008 | Acer Aspire 5100-5022 Notebook
Nov 05, 2007 | HP OmniBook XE3 Notebook
766 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: