Question about GE Microwave Ovens
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Microwave not working
Sadly, we hear of this over and over.
This is due to a defective or loose magnetron causing electrical interference and disruption in the control circuit board.
If your magnetron was recently replaced, it may have loose mounting nuts or bolts or maybe the wire mesh RF gasket was not installed or got pinched.
It may also need a new high-voltage diode and stirrer, and the cavity may be affected.
Details are in their bulletin here. Even if your model is not on the list, the same problem can occur, requiring a kit.
If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.
They may send you a replacement magnetron. GE Customer Service is here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Nov 25, 2008
You need to find a handy dandy fellow or lady and take the back off. You may need a special screw driver type tool in the allen wrench catagory. The screw may have a post in the center. They carry these type of allen wrench tools at the hardware store. Get the kind that has several different sizes on it It cost a little more but you won't be sorry later.
Once you get the back off you should see a white fuse. This is the first thing to check. You may not have that amperage of fuse laying around the house in your drunk drawer. Just to test it out wrap some aluminum foil around the fuse and plug it in and if you get power on the lights then that is your problem. Unplug it until you get the right fuse at the same hardware store. You don't want to have any sparks flying or wires burning. The aaluminum foil just gives you a temporary test at best. And it is also all I can offer you in help on microwaves. Except to check and clean your fan while your inside of it. Let me know if I got lucky and please leave me a thumbs up for the effort. Raz
Posted on Apr 23, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 02, 2013 | GE Microwave Ovens
Jul 29, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jun 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Feb 01, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Nov 20, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens
Jul 06, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
165 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!