After researching all the information online, I found that the issue might be due to the Hard Drive or the CD/DVD Drive.
Based on the information provided by you on this email, I suggest that you perform the below steps:
1) Shut down the system if it is on, Remove the Optical Drive. See instruction in this link: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...htm#wp1179838
2) Power up the system, see if the malfunction is still present.
3) If the malfunction is still present please perform this actions:
4) Shut down the system, Remove the HD and put it back See instruction in this link: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...htm#wp1180014
5) Then, see if the malfunction is still present.
If the issue still persists even after performing the above steps, please perform the further troubleshooting steps which I have mentioned below:
1) Run the Drive Self Test (Hard Drive Diagnostic).
a) The first step to perform when you encounter errors with the hard drive
is the drive self test. Depending on the system, this test can be run
either from a CD or from the System Setup (BIOS). When you run the
diagnostic test, you will be informed whether the diagnostic is able to
test your hard drive.
b) Most recent Desktop, Portable, and Workstation systems have the hard
drive diagnostic included in the System Setup. You will find detailed
instructions on running this test at the following web address:http://support.dell.com/support/topi...401E0A55174AE6
2) Hard Drive Cannot Boot, is not Detected or Reports Errors.
a) There are many steps that will help solve or least determine the exact
cause of the hard drive errors you might encounter. You'll find
easy-to-follow steps at the following web address:http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=us&l=en&s=gen
Please perform all the steps mentioned above.
Hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask further questions.