Question about GE JE1660 Microwave Oven
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: microwave problem
That panel is probably mics, not netla, though it may look like metal. The job of the waveguide cover is to protect the waveguide (opening) and the magnetron from buildup of food particles and grease. When the grease and food particles build up on and behind the cover, they will carbonize and arc - and maybe even flame up! The solution is to clean it and keep it clean - but if it's too dirty or is burned, it must be replaced. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the cover to clean both sides of it, and to clean the edges of the opening it covers. It is sometimes held in place with a small plastic rivet (or screw) and once that is removed, the cover will slide over a little then drop down. Be VERY careful not to get cut on the potentially sharp edges of the opening, and do not spray anything into the opening. Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) and /or gentle scouring powder to a cloth or paper towel and carefully wipe it out, then when it's dry, reinstall the cover and the rivet. I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics.
Posted on Apr 23, 2007
SOURCE: microwave ovens
The cover is probably the magenetron. That is where the microwaves come from. If the bread was moist, it might have left condensate in the unit which is causing the sparking. Unplug the unit, leave the door open over night. If you can remove that cover, do so. Be sure to carefully replace it before using the unit. Never turn on a microwave with nothing in it.
Posted on Dec 17, 2007
Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.
The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.
It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!
The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.
If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.
Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.
If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.
You can probably find exploded views and order parts by entering your model number here at the Sears parts site.
The best place to order Sharp parts is Tritronics.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Aug 08, 2008
Most likely a shorted capacitor is causing the fuse to blow. Easy and cheap to fix.
Check with www.martinmicrowave.com or call toll free 1-877-894-0035 for parts info
Posted on Sep 06, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 20, 2013 | GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1871 Microwave...
It sounds like what you are talking about is an issue with the waveguide cover. It is usually made
of a material called Mica. Its purpose is to cover the aperture through which
the microwaves enter the oven cavity from where they are produced by the
Magnetron behind the control panel. It stops moisture and food particles
getting into the "workings" of the microwave.
if your microwave is working ok and behaving itself
then there is nothing to worry about, but there may be one of 3 problems that
may arise which should be rectified.
1. Its fallen off.
2. It has a hole in it.
3. It is arcing or sparking during use.
In any eventuality it should be replaced. If it has
fallen off or got a hole in it then there is the risk of food or moisture
getting into the waveguide which will reduce the efficiency of the oven. If it
is arcing or sparking then continued use will damage other components in the
microwave including the oven cavity which could be costly to rectify.
If there are any issues with
your waveguide cover it should be replaced. When new the mica sheet is rigid
and firm. Over a period of time it absorbs moisture and gets food splatters on
it. It then becomes soft and flexible. The cover can be replaced either with a
suitable replacement made by the manufacturer of the microwave or if the old
cover is in good enough shape to be used as a template, blank sheets of mica
can be purchased and cut to fit.
Jul 07, 2011 | Dacor DMO24SS Microwave Oven
Oct 11, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens
Aug 04, 2010 | Dacor DMO24SS Microwave Oven
May 13, 2009 | Panasonic NN-T655SF Microwave Oven
Jan 23, 2009 | GE JES738 Microwave Oven
Sep 29, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1150XM Convection/Microwave...
Dec 16, 2007 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven
68 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: