Question about Magic Chef Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave acts like there is no power. Is there a fuse ?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 5,911 Answers

There is usually a 125V, 20 AMP line fuse inside the microwave, mounted at the point where the power cord enters the back of the unit. It will either be in line with the power cord, or on a small circuit card called a line filter. Unfortunately, you will need to uninstall the oven (if this is an over the range model), UNPLUG it and remove the exterior case to access. The case comes off in various ways depending on manufacturer and model. Parts are available at any of the following websites: The first three sites include illustrated parts listings that can help you locate and properly identify any parts you may need. The microwave oven may also equipped with various thermostats that (if blown) can cause similar symptoms to that of a blown line fuse. So, if the line fuse is NOT blown, you may want to check all the thermostats to see if they are still good. You will need to remove each one and measure across the terminals with a multimeter. A good reading is 0 ohms. NOTE: The thermostats typically will trip if the oven cavity has been overheated. Cooking items that are high heat producers such as popcorn or baked potatoes in rapid succession can often cause this problem. Allowing the oven cavity to cool a few minutes with the door open between cooking can prevent this from occurring.

If the line fuse is blown, you can usually purchase a box of fuses at a hardware store for just a little more than what the manufacturer charges for a single fuse. 125V, 20AMP Ceramic Slow Blow fuses are recommended.

If you have any questions, or need additional assistance troubleshooting, please post back with your MODEL NUMBER and let me know. I hope you find this information helpful.

NOTE: Make sure you take any resistance readings with the microwave UNPLUGGED and the component under test isolated (removed) from the circuit. These ovens can blow a fuse by simply sitting idle. This can occur from any power fluctuations, brown outs, voltage spikes, etc. Or, it could be the symptom of a component that may have failed. If you find the internal fuse blown and replace it, only to have it blow again, you have a more significant problem than a simple blown fuse.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Interior light bulb burned out previously; now no power at all.

I have had to change the fuse in a handful of my microwaves,usually when they get to be about 10 years old.If you take the housing off,you should find an inline fuse holder on the power cord just as it enters the housing.Read the info on the fuse,and replace it with the same size/type(the ones I've seen are ceramic fast acting fuses)I also like to take another spare and tape it inside the housing near the fuse holder so I don't lose the spare.

Jan 01, 2012 | Magic Chef Jade Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Has power but not working.

Many newer microwaves will have power to the control panel but have the magnetron
fused. The fuse is an automotive type fuse (old style). It has a ceramic center instead of
clear. It is a slow acting fuse. Make sure unit is unplugged before servicing and
be mindful of the capacitors (metal or plastic cylinders with two connections on them)
They can hold quite a charge. The fuse will be in a holder and the voltage and amperage
are stamped on the metal ends. About 2 dollars at the appliance parts store. You may
need a security driver to remove the cover screws.
Hope this helps.

Mar 27, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Is there a reset button on frigidaire microwaves. have already checked the circuit breakers but still not working

nope sure isnt, if it doesnt turn on you may have just blown either the load in fuse or the high voltage fuse down the bottom, remove the cover should be a couple screws round the outside and check fuses if you know how (MAKE SURE ITS UNPLUGGED FROM THE POWER FIRST) (NEVER START THE MICROWAVE WITHOUT THE METAL COVER ON AS THIS ACTS AS A RADIATION SHIELD)

Mar 26, 2011 | Frigidaire FGMV185K Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Advantium suddenly stopped working while using it. Acts as if it is unplugged. I checked the electric circuit and surgeprotector they are okay. It acts as if it blew a fuse, but I don.t know where...

Dead appliance, power on wall outlet.


Attempt this only if you are competent.

If your appliance has absolutely no functions at all, remove it from the mains supply, remove the case and see where the mains lead goes in to the appliance and follow the cable until you find the main fuse.
The usual cause of this fuse failure is the door switches are contaminated or sticking. Check the door switches before putting power back on to the appliance.
Hope this helps.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

665.68601890 Acts as though it is not receiving power but breaker is not thrown. Is there an internal reset. Nothing responds - no lights, fan or microwave. Panel is black and non responsive

ther is on most microwaves a fuse inside usually located behind display panel located in a fuse block or will be on the control board itself.. normally a 20 amp fuse...try that first if not then make sure you have power to control and if so and no display most likely the display control board...
may luck out and be just the fuse though....good luck

Jan 08, 2011 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Acts as if there is no power but power at the outlet. Neither micro nor vent fan nor light work. Please advise.

Their is a fuse insite the body behind the control panel. You need to replace the fuse.

Sep 29, 2010 | Sanyo EM-S8000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave stops running

Mostly with GE I find this to be bad connections at the fuse holder or a bad fuse due to a bad fuse holder. It will break connection and reset the unit when the connection gets hot and expands and then opens and stops power from getting to the unit.

Aug 14, 2017 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Blowing Fuses

never put higher fuse then what is already there can cause a fire microwave are being made more disposable now either use warranty or buy a new one i am lucky if i get one to last a year before it starts acting up cheaper to buy new one then to have it repaired

Dec 03, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

146 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Magic Chef Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Shehu Pro
Shehu Pro

Level 3 Expert

1284 Answers


Level 2 Expert

97 Answers

Are you a Magic Chef Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides