Have System Tool infection on Lenovo X201
You will need to print this or write this down as these instructions involve shutting down your computer.
Here we go:
1. Shutdown your computer.
2. Press the power button on your computer to turn it on, after you the see the screen come up that says "Lenovo", write where your screen then goes black, you are going to repeatedly press the "F8" key until a weird screen comes up with different options.
3. You are going to select with your arrow keys "Safe Mode with Networking" and press enter.
4. Wait for your computer to go into safe mode, if box comes up asking if you want to go into safe mode press "yes".
5. Now go to your start menu and open "Internet Explorer".
6. At the top right go to "Tools" and then "Internet Options".
7. A windows will come up. Go to the "Connections" tab and hit the "LAN Settings" button at the bottom of the window.
8. In this new window that comes up, if there are any boxes checked, please un-check them now.
9. Hit Ok and then Ok again.
10. Please download the file from this address "http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/iExplore.exe".
11. When the box comes up if you want to Run or Save please hit "Run".
12. Wait for a black box to appear, then wait for the black box to disappear(this may take a while).
13. Once it has finished its job it will disappear, it may come up with a "log" file and you can just ignore that.
14. Now go to this address "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/malwarebytes-anti-malware" and hit the blue "download now" button, and "Run" this program too.
15. Please go through the installation process and install it on your computer.
16. Once it has finished installing, please open the program and make sure there is a bullet beside "Perform full scan", then hit the "Scan" button.
17. The scan may take a few hours, once it has finished it will show all of the malware it found which will include the System Tool malware. Hit the "Remove selected" button at the bottom left.
18. Once it has finished removing the malware, simply turn off the computer and turn it back on as you normally would.
19. Everything should be 100% back to normal.
Feb 28, 2011 |
Lenovo X201 520M 2GB250 BT F WXP7 324938U...