Question about Televison & Video
The squealing you hear comes from the power source. Here's what's happening: there's a big short on one of its outputs; when you try to start the tv there's a very high current that goes thru it; this current forces the power source to work way beyond its limits - it gets severely overstressed - and the transformer is extremely solicited = the squealing you hear; that much overstress triggers the autoprotection of the power source and it cuts it down = the squealing stops; with the power source down al the voltages drop, including the ones from the autoprotection system, who gets reseted and the power source start again, squealing = the process repeats and it will repeat as long there is power.
You must find the short and you must do that by testing the output voltages on the power source.
BTW if one capacitor has failed the others can't be far behind - replace them all.
Posted on Nov 10, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Workup for repair
Diagnosis for Magnavox 32MD251D/37
• Will not power on
• Once on, if turned off power might not return
• Does not respond to power cycling
• Overloaded fuse
• Damaged/fried power board
• Damaged/fried inverter board
• Damage to wiring or related
• Overloaded capacitors on power board - I identified this based on a visual inspection and a multi meter test
• Capacitor 2079 appears overloaded - 1200uf 35v
• Capacitor 2080 appears overloaded - 1200uf 35v
• The capacitors referenced regulate the voltage controlling the power. These caps have a limited lifetime in hours which is usually around 3000. The device was left on for an extended period of time overloading these essential components.
1. I will order a set of replacement capacitors
2. Discharge board prior to work
3. Remove and replace damaged capacitors
Required Parts (total cost $30):
• (2) Vented axial 1200uF 35v Capacitors - $8
• Variable wattage soldering iron (minimum 35w) - $22
Feb 10, 2013 | Magnavox 32MD251D/37 Tabletop Pedestal...
Jul 21, 2012 | Toymax Magnavox 37MF231D 37 in. LCD TV
Mar 26, 2010 | Toymax Magnavox 37MF231D 37 in. LCD TV
Aug 27, 2009 | Philips Magnavox 42MF521D/37 Television
Aug 01, 2009 | Philips Magnavox 50ML8105D 50" HDTV DLP TV
Jan 16, 2009 | Philips 37MF231D 37 in. LCD Television
Jun 04, 2008 | Philips Magnavox 27MS343S 27" TV
Mar 28, 2008 | Philips Magnavox 27MS343S 27" TV
Nov 26, 2007 | Philips Magnavox 52MF437S/37 52 in. LCD TV
317 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!