Question about Troy Bilt 5.5hp Self Propelled Mower

1 Answer

I need to change the oil, and I can't find the oil plug anywhere. I hear it is square shaped and recessed. The manual indicates the oil plug can be on the bottom or the side and it is one of 3 shapes. I don't see anything square shaped anywhere on the mower. I tried undoing bolts near the blade underneath, and none of them seem to work. I tried turning the mower over in order to remove the blade to look for the oil plug, and the mower began leaking gas, so I stopped. How on earth do I find this thing? Is it on the side with the carburetor or the other side?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has achieved Level 3.

  • Master
  • 969 Answers

Look around the base of engine where it mounts to the deck. Usually a 1/2in or 7/16 wrench or 13mm - 14mm.

Posted on Nov 07, 2010


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why does my 94 chevy caprice knock when started then stops

it takes a while for the oil to get to the pistons threw the maze of oil distribution ducts. so when you start it. the pistons are almost dry. and you can hear the piston walls slapping the sides of the cylinder walls as the crank passes top dead center and the force of the piston's pressure switches from one side to the other
maybe it was run without oil once and wore out a little.. it might be close to the end. or it could go for another 200,000 miles depending on how worn out the pistons are.. thats why they make "high mileage" oil, it's thicker(higher viscosity higher sea number) so when the piston slaps the cylinder wall , it doesn't squirt the oil completely away and provides more lubrication.

an analogy might be to look at a worn piston as that the older and more worn out it is, it's profile changes from square shape to triangle shape(more like trapezoid shape). but upside down triangle instead of a square profile

Jul 23, 2017 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Show me where the plug is for the oil change

The plug is on the crankcase - the oil pan. You will find it on the bottom of the oil pan, or at the bottom edge -front, side or rear.
Depending on what sort of vehicle you own, the plug may either be a square peg, a normal 'nut shape or it may be a recessed fitting - square or hex.

The link below will give you a general idea of where to look and what to look for.

oil sump plug Google Search

Feb 25, 2016 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How to add transmission fluid to manual Matrix

A manual gearbox ...
The filler plug will be on the side of the gearbox. You've got to crawl underneath your car...
Here's a couple of generic images:

The filler plug will either have a square recess (as in first image) or a splined recess (as in the 2nd image) .. it may even have a square peg or even an 8 sided recess (its for what's called an 'allen key' in the UK'.

Whatever type of filler plug is on your gearbox .. undo it and fill up with the correct oil until it 'runs out of the hole'

Nov 08, 2015 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How to change oil on lawn tractor

There should be a drain plug on the side. Usually where the oil goes in by the dipstick, it will be a square headed pipe plug. Also check the bottom of the engine for pipe plugs into the case. These will have a recessed square opening that a 3/8" ratchet or extension will fit into.

May 12, 2014 | Garden

1 Answer

Lever to check transmission oil for manual

There is a fill plug on the side if the transmission, you must get under the car to see it, it is a pipe threaded plug, it should be a 3/4 pipe plug, it will be either an Allen recessed head plug or a square drive standard pipe plug. To check the level pull the plug, put you pinkie finger in the hole, the transmission lube should be just below the threads of the plug in the transmission case. If the fluid needs to be topped off it uses ATF type DEXRON VI, (replaced all earlier DEXRON types) yes manual transmissions uses ATF also.

Oct 20, 2011 | 1996 Chevrolet Camaro

1 Answer

Where is the oil plug for changing oil in the Toro recylcer 700 series. I can't find it anywhere

Hi marybasrai...
Look under the mower to find a square plug/allen key plug and remove that plug will allow you to drain the oil from the mower
Free answer, Please rate me

May 07, 2011 | Toro Power Lawn Mower

1 Answer

Unable to remove square groove transmisson bolt

Find a piece of keystock the right size and put it into the hole. It is most likely metric. If the 3/8" drive is loose, get 10mm keystock. If it's tight, get 8 or 9 mm keystock.

Jul 01, 2010 | 1994 Suzuki Swift

2 Answers

Where do you add transmission fluid on a manual transmission

For a manual transmission you need to use gear lube not transmission fluid. There is a plug, it should be about 2/3 of the way up on the side of the transmission. The plugs vary, it may be square, hex or recessed

Jun 09, 2010 | 1995 Ford Escort

1 Answer

Tool for oil change/plug

no special tool needed.Just use a 3/8 ratchet extension. Fits perfect

Apr 28, 2010 | Briggs & Stratton Lawn-Boy Insight Series...

1 Answer

How do i check fluid in in rearend on a 1998 GMC jimmy

On most differentials, there is a plug. It will have a square recess in the plug. Using a 3/8" ratchet and extension, place the extension in the plug and turn counter-clockwise to remove. (No socket required, just the extension.)

On most vehicles, the oil should be just below the level of the hole. I have relatively small hands, I just use my little finger to check the level of oil.

In past, I always used 90 weight gear oil to bring level of, but depending on your differential, you may need a special oil. (My 2001 Tahoe with locking differential used a synthetic oil. The dimwits at the oil change place added regular 90 weight oil, even after I told them not to, had to have dealer drain, and replace.)

Oct 07, 2009 | 1995 GMC Jimmy

Not finding what you are looking for?
Troy Bilt 5.5hp Self Propelled Mower Logo

93 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Troy Garden Experts

Matt Olenzek
Matt Olenzek

Level 2 Expert

297 Answers

Wade Mobley
Wade Mobley

Level 3 Expert

475 Answers

Mike Squire

Level 2 Expert

420 Answers

Are you a Troy Garden Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides