Question about Linksys (WIFILAPTOP) 802.11b Wireless Access Point
Locking the router can be done by setting a WEP key. Its a 10 digit alphanumeric key that you can set. Once you set it up, anyone who tries to access your router wirelessly will be prompted for that 10 digit key. Be sure to change your SSID (wireless network name) also so that you can distinguish your own secured wireless network from others.
SSID can be changed on the main setup page.
1. To access it, open Internet explorer while your computer is physically connected to the router.
2. Type http:\\192.168.1.1 (the default IP address of the router.) It will ask you for the username and password.
3. Enter the word "admin" for both username and password. It is the factory default username and password. On the main setup page, you will find the field for SSID or Network name.
4. Type your unique wireless network name and click the Save button on the bottom of the page.
5. On the router's web-based setup page, click the Wireless tab then click the Wireless Security sub-tab
6. Click the drop-down arrow for Security Mode and select WEP.
7. Under WEP Encryption select 64 bits 10 hex digits.
8. Enter a unique word in the Passphrase field, then click Generate.
9. The result will be a string of letters and numbers displayed in the space provided for Key 1.
NOTE: Take note of what is in Key 1. This key will serve as the wireless security password. Keep this key confidential.
10. Click the Save Settings button.
From now on, whenever anyone tries to access your wireless network, they need to enter Key 1 which you only know. There you go. Your wireless network is protected.
Posted on Feb 25, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 16, 2010 | Cell Phones
Jun 07, 2010 | Belkin (54G F5D7230UK4) Wireless Router
Apr 11, 2010 | NetGear WGT624 Wireless Router
Mar 15, 2009 | Gateway Belkin 54g Wireless DSL/Cable...
154 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: