I have a DeWalt D55168 type 3 air compressor that the motor brushes keep sparking and smoking.
If the compressor is relatively new and performs well, it is probably not an issue. Brushes always spark on the commutator but without seeing the extent of the sparks it is hard to tell for certain if it is "too much" or not. I wouldn't expect any significant smoke from the brushes and commutator or the armature unless it is brand new and the oils from manufacturing are being burned off. If it is a very old machine, it is possible the armature is shorted out and needs to be replaced.
If, on the other hand, it is not brand new, but a couple years old, has had use, but not heavy and continuous and you just see small sparks coming from the brushes, then it is probably ok. If the sparks seem larger than what you are accustomed to and you are seeing smoke coming from the motor at all (presuming it is not the brand new situation noted above) then the armature may be starting to short out and/or the windings in the motor may be starting to burn out. Electric motors that are used within their design constraints (not overloaded, not run on low voltage, not run continuously if not designed for that use, not overheated) do not tend to burn out. However, if the windings get covered with sawdust (which insulates them), you run the compressor continuously for hours on end, day after day, especially in a hot environment and/or with low voltage, then you have probably overheated the windings and the motor is burning out. For a compressor of this size and quality, it would likely cost more to have the motor rewound than it cost to replace the compressor. Also, if it has failed from overly hard use, rewinding the motor will not prevent another burn-out, you need a larger, more durable compressor.
Aug 10, 2012 |
Air Tools & Compressors