When you try to play a DVD game on Xbox 360 it tries to play as a movie?
c on your Xbox 360 console, you may receive an error message. This article presents step-by-step guidance to help you determine whether your disc is playable.
When you try to play a disc, you may receive the following error message:
Can’t read this DVD.
The DVD or game disc may be dirty or damaged. Because the console cannot read the disc well, it may even mistake a game disc for a DVD and report this error. If this problem occurs with multiple discs, even clean and undamaged discs, there may be a problem with your Xbox 360 console.
Note If you receive a different error message, such as one of the following messages, the problem is a different problem:
Error message 1
Can't play DVD. Wrong region code.
Error message 2
Can’t play DVD. Family settings restrict playback of this DVD.
If you receive one of these error messages, see the corresponding Knowledge Base article:
907620 While attempting to play a standard DVD movie using your Xbox 360 console, you receive the error message: "Can't play DVD. Wrong region code"
908645 While attempting to play a DVD movie using your Xbox 360 console, you receive the error message: "Can’t play DVD. Family settings restrict playback of this DVD"
THINGS TO TRY
Here are some things that you can do to try to fix the problem or to determine what caused it.
Determine whether the disc is dirty or damaged
Discs that are smudged, scratched, or otherwise damaged cannot be read by the Xbox 360 console. You will want to examine the disc to see whether it has smudges, scratches, or other damage. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Examine the disc for dirt or damage:
a. Pick up the disc by its edges. Do not touch the top or bottom surface.
b. Examine the shiny side of the disc to make sure that the disc is clean and has no damage.
NoteScratches that follow the curve of the disc are very damaging and prevent a disc from being read. If your disc has even one of these kinds of scratches, the disc is damaged, and you will no longer be able to play it. If this is the case, see step 4.
2. If the disc is dirty, clean the disc by hand:
• Use a soft, clean, dry, chemical-free cloth to clean the disc.
• Lightly wipe from the center of the disc outward.
3. After you clean the disc, try to load it in the Xbox 360 console. If the disc still will not load or you receive the same error message, the disc is damaged, and you will no longer be able to play it. If this is the case, see step 4.
4. If the disc is damaged, do one of the following:
• Because DVD discs are not game discs and the disc was damaged because of misuse of some type, such as not storing the disc in its case, the only thing that you can do is buy a new one.
• If you feel that the disc was damaged by the Xbox 360 console in some way, please contact Xbox Customer Support. To do this, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:
on Feb 18, 2010 | Video Game Consoles & Games