The hard drive shows up but will not let me write. At the shring and permissions it just read: read only. This is a brand new hard drive out of the box. I'm just tring to back up some final cut projects. will not even let the file in. Cannot modify the untitled harddrive...... thats what it says when you try and drag a file in.. thanks for the help..
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the OneTouch does not appear in My Computer
or cannot be found by Maxtor Manager, right click on My Computer icon
and select Properties, Device Manager, Disc drives, and expand Disc
Drives. There will probably be a yellow overlay over Maxtor drive, to
show it has a problem, so right click on it and select 'Choose drivers
for this device' to reinstall them. Without going online they seem to be
found somewhere locally on the PC and I hope this will do the trick.
Did you disconnect the firewire drive before installing? You may need to update your firmware. Also, try these things:
1. Shut down and disconnect your firewire drive leaving nothing is connected to the firewire ports.
2. Restart, and use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your internal.
3. Shut down, and disconnect the AC power from the computer and your drive; also remove battery if laptop.
4. Let computer sit unpowered and disconnected for15 minutes.
5. Reconnect AC power to only the computer and reinsert battery.
6. Restart computer.
7. Verify that firewire ports are visible using System Profiler.
8. Reconnect your firewire drive, and refresh window in System Profiler
to rescan the firewire bus, and confirm that drive is visible.
9. Repair disk and permissions on the firewire drive.
The correct lead should be Y shaped and two of the limbs plug into two USB sockets on the PC, the third lead has a small jack which goes into the OneTouch. It should light up if it is getting power from the USB and there should be an icon showing for it in My Computer.
Have you tried right clicking on the drive and going into properties. Click on security option and make sure that all the permissions for the drive are active with the exception of special permissions. Also look at the advanced security settings and make sure that you have full control permissions. Hope this helps.