Question about Slik Photography

3 Answers

SLIK 512QF tripod

I was just given this tripod and am looking for some information on it - a users manual would be great. But after googling, and yahooing, I can't find a thing. There are tons of models listed, but not this one.
Can you help?

Posted by on

  • 3 more comments 
  • Carole31 Jun 13, 2008

    Hi Ed,

    Thanks!  I did find somewhere online that it is a video tripod and was manufactured from 1990-95. It does have a very long handle like a video tripod would. The only thing that puzzles me is that there is a screw on the front of it (just under the latch where you attach the quick release for the camera), and I have no idea what it's for. I can't figure out what its purpose is. This is my first tripod so it might be obvious to others, but not to me :)

    Thanks again,

  • Carole31 Jun 16, 2008

    I'll take a photo of it and upload it to my website and post the link here. I tried unscrewing it all the way but I can't figure out what it's supposed to do because nothing behaved differently. 

  • Carole31 Jun 17, 2008

    It's the screw on the front that I have no idea what it does. I've tightened it and unscrewed it and taken it off and it makes no difference.  Also the action on the tripod is very stiff. Is there something I can use to lubricate it, or is that what I should do?


  • Carole31 Jun 17, 2008

    Will do. I'll give it a try. I'm also wondering if this tripod is going to work for my purposes as I'm not into video, only still photography. But we'll see :)


  • Ed Shapiro
    Ed Shapiro May 11, 2010

    The SLIK tripod you mention seems to be listed as a VIDEO tripod- meaning that its pan head may be designed for the movements required for video shooting, I can't find a picture for it or any kind of manual but I do have the telephone number of their service department.

    Main support number 800-421-1141 Toll Free

    Operating a tripod is usually pretty simple- if you have any issues- please contact me again and I will try to walk you through any problems.

    Ed "Lightman"


3 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I have the same tripod, and the screw shown in the photo you posted is to lock down the rotation of the tripod's head, i.e., what a video camera uses to pan (horizontally) across a scene. The large knob is used for the same in the vertical direction (up and down motion).

Posted on Oct 01, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I have the 512 QF which I got in the 90's for videos. It also works great for SLR still camera's also.or any camera that will screw on the quick release. If your talking about the screw
which is copper colored in the picture, it is just to hold the brass insert in that sets the tension when you turn the knob that the screw is in the middle of . By turning the knob it should loosen the arm and you can position the arm where you want it. In other words - don't worry about the screw... If you are still having problems , you may contact me at les@windheaven.con as I believe I know everything about this tripod..

Posted on Aug 20, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 22 Answers

Carole- If you can send me a photo of that part of the tripod showing the screw- I may be able to tell what is is for. You may try to loosen it and see if the tension on the head changes or if something comes off. It seems that quick release parts are still available through dealers if that is missing. Let me know.

Posted on Jun 13, 2008

  • Ed Shapiro
    Ed Shapiro Jun 17, 2008

    Hi again!

    That screw could be something to secure an additional accessory, especially if it has no effect on the head's operation. It also COULD be an oil inlet- put a bit of 3 in 1 or light sewing machine oil in there and see what happens. Don't use too much oil- it can't harm anything.

    If the head is still stiff apply some oil to the joints- you may want to unscrew the handle and put some oil in the socket. You can also use a spray-in lubricant such as WD-40 or a silicone based product. Apply the lubricant and let it soak in for a while and then work the head.

    Let me know what happens.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Replace Quick release lever

The US distributer site is on the link below. It has an email address where you can request an estimate for repair or ask for the part. If you are not in the US you can find your local distributor from the Slik homepage below: Please update the question & let us know if the information given was useful to you - Good Luck!

Aug 21, 2007 | Slik 505QF Tripod

1 Answer

Need user manual for tripod

Save all literature that comes with your equipment.

Aug 05, 2013 | Slik U-212DX Tripod

1 Answer

Where to buy repair parts Slik PRO 400 DX Deluxe Tripod

type it on google search, you shall find where to buy that

Oct 21, 2010 | Slik PRO 400 DX Tripod

3 Answers

Lost quick release camera post for a slik U 112 Deluxe Tripod

Try they list them but it said they were out of stock.

Dec 10, 2007 | Slik U-212DX Tripod

1 Answer


Can't find any information on line-

Here's Slik's toll free service depatment's number-

Main support number 800-421-1141 Ed

Nov 16, 2007 | Slik U-212DX Tripod

2 Answers

How to Unscrew SLIK tripod head from the rest of tripod?

Below the tripod head you will see what looks like a "sandwich" of two chromed pieces of metal.  The lower one is the top of the tripod's center column.  The upper one is the bottom of the tripod head. Using wrenches or other tools, unscrew the upper one counterclockwise to separate it from the lower one. There is a 1/4" threaded stud which holds them together.
If you plan on replacing the head with a pro head like a Manfrotto, you will need a reducing bushing.  Most heads expect a 3/8" stud, and this tripod's thread is a standard 1/4" stud. The adapters are available through Wolf, Adorama, B&H, and the like.

Sep 03, 2007 | Slik 505QF Tripod

Not finding what you are looking for?
Photography Logo

Related Topics:

1,375 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Slik Photography Experts


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers


Level 3 Expert

2598 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15107 Answers

Are you a Slik Photography Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides