Belkin wireless g router and encore 802.11 g usb adapter on fresh install of Win XP
I am trying to get a "new" used computer online with the router and usb adapter listed in subject line. I have a "validating identity" issue and I have tried almost everything. I cannot seem to get it to either bypass this or to get it to validate the identity. I have gone into almost every tab, submenu, and settings page that you can imagine. I am getting very frustrated. I have another pc that is using the exact same setup and it is fine. I even matched the parameters etc. from the working computer to this new one I am trying to get online. Do you have any suggestions? I am so at wits end here and I am no expert yet not even close to novice with computers. Please help!! I need to do this soon so I can activate my copy of win XP. I know I could disassemble the computer and take it to a room with a phone line though that is alot of work. I would like to just get online wirelessly. It obviously is connecting to a point where it recognizes the belkin router it just hangs up in la la land when "verifiying identity".
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Your Issue can be Solved by assigning DNS address on your Computer.
>First of all change the Security on the Belkin Router to WEP Mode.
--- Remove Preferred Networks From your Computer.
- Right Click on wireless Network Connection > Properties > Select Wireless Networks tab > Remove your network From Preferred Networks Box.
--- Associate with your wireless Network.
- Right Click on wireless Network Connection > View Available Wireless Networks > Select your network > Click connect
---> Check if you are able to go online.
--- If Not Try Assigning DNS Addresses For your Wireless Network
- Right Click on Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Under this connection uses the Following Items. > Double Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Select Use the Following DNS Server Addresses:
- Preferred DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
- Alternate DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
- Click OK & OK again
- Now Check if you are able to go online if still No go Check if you can go online on any other wireless Com or Device using the Belkin Router If Yes it Might Be an Issue with your Adapter or there Might Be an Antivirus Installed on your com Try Disabling it.
- If this doesn't work Please do get Back to us we will be happy to Help you out... :)
You cannot install this adapter in a Win 7 computer because the drivers are not compatible with Win 7.
So far Belkin haven't updated the drivers for win 7 OS. The latest drivers for this adapter is compatible only with
" Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit "
Click hereto see the belkin compatible drivers in the website.
you mean that the adapter is not being recognised by the pc as a usb device, this adapter works better on a usb2.0 port, not as well on a usb1.0 port, depending on how old your pc is, try other ports., but you must uninstal the belkin driver from add/remove programmes, then install the driver again and inset adapter in a different usb port than before.
the adapter should then be found and click install driver automatically, but leave the cd in the drive as it normally picks the driver up again from the disk on it's own even after installing it yourself.
When installed i would recommend using windows wireless zero configuration (windows own software) instead of the belkin software, to do this right click on the network icon and select enable WZC (windows zero config), as this is a more stable programme for connecting your adapter signal to the router
Personally Belkin is poor in my opinion, netgear has better software and drivers, but it's belkin you have, so follow the above and it should be ok.