An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
An expert that has over 10 points.
An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.
Re: uPGRADING TO 2 GHZ
1. Check user documentation for supported CPUs for your system.
2. If 2.0GHz CPU is supported on your system, you don't need any additional software.
3. I would upgrade the BIOS firmware first. It might have an additional CPU support.
4. Read information from you old CPU. Exemple: 1.4GHz/256/400. 1.4GHz is a speed of your CPU. 256 is a 256k cache, and 400 is 400MHz BUS speed. In general you can boost speed to 2.0GHz or more and cache to 512k, just keep your BUS speed to 400
5. Post your system model or your motherboard model. That information would help in determining the maximum speed of the CPU for your system.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The 3 GHz socket 478 processor will cost you about $90 shipped. Not worth upgrading for that cost in my opinion, when you can buy a whole new computer for $400 new, or a much better computer for 1/2 that used.
According to this review, you can upgrade as far as a 2 GHz P4-M at least;
Other than that, i have been unable to find the details of your motherboard - if you can post the make and model (should be printed on it somewhere) then I would hope to find a more complete list of compatible and incompatible processors.
Gateway themselves no longer offer online info or support for this model, but the motherboard details should enable me to find out what you need to know.
Waiting for your post :)