I have a blackberry phone and the cursor on the phone don't go down, only sideways and up
The problem you describe is a common occurrence with all BlackBerry phones with a trackball. The cause of this is a build-up of dirt, dust, lint and debris that gets trapped under the trackball. Over time, the build-up fuses together with the natural oils on our fingers as we spin the trackball. This leads to small chunks of dirt trapped that get big enough to prevent the trackball from spinning in a given direction - and sometimes even from being able to press down on it to make a selection.
To fix this, you will need the following items:
A. BlackBerry (with Trackball)
B. Small, flathead screwdriver (Jeweler's driver)
C. Toothpick (1)
D. Lint-free cleaning cloth (or toilet paper/napkin)
E. Q-tip (2)
1. Power off the BB and remove the battery cover and battery
2. With the phone facing you, insert the small, flathead screwdriver between the outside of the chrome track ring and the edge of the plastic phone face.
3. Slowly apply pressure downward, as if you were trying to open a can of paint.
4. There are 3 tiny clips that hold the track ring in place. Slowly wedge around until all three have been loosened. (Be careful as these are extremely fragile pieces and if they break, there's no repairing it, only replacement).
5. Once you remove the track ring, you can easily remove the trackball.
6. Look inside the the hole where the trackball was and if you spot any "gunk" or build-up, use the toothpick to flush it out.
(Be careful not to damage the expose logic board)
7. Once any build-up has been removed, take the trackball and using a Q-tip, gently roll the ball around while also pushing the ball in, so as to free any trapped debris.
8. After a few swabs and after any visible gunk has been removed, insert the trackball and then the chrome ring, carefully!
9. Roll the trackball around and check for any blockage.
10. If there is blockage, disassemble the trackball and track ring again and repeat steps 6-8 until clean.
11. Once clean & reassembled, insert the battery and battery cover and power the BB on.
12. Check/re-check scrolling and selecting with the trackball, verifying that it works correctly.
Aug 11, 2010 |
RIM BlackBerry Pearl 8100