Question about Sony KV-36FS17 36" TV

1 Answer

Un soldering hi, i'm trying to remove a tuner from a circuit board but all of the leads are soldered on . how do i lossen the solder on all the leads so that i can pull the tuner out of the circuit board. thank

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 2,992 Answers

You need something called "solder wick." It's a braided copper strip that soaks up the solder as it melts. (You put the braid on the joint and then heat the braid and joint together.) I think Radio Shack sells it in small rolls. It's also available online from companies that sell electronic parts and service supplies.

You can also try using a vacuum solder ******. That has a plunger that pops out when you press the release button, and it pulls the molten solder away from the joint. I personally don't like those; I find the wick is much more effective, and it's possible to damage the board with the mechanical ******.

Posted on Nov 23, 2008

  • Nov 23, 2008

    Hmmm. I forgot that some words get bleeped. I should have said vacuum solder puller, but I guess the meaning was clear. "Vacuum solder opposite-of-blower." "Vacuum solder $uck3r" maybe. Thanks for the good rating.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Raccordement fil d'antenne sur circuit il est coupe et je ne sais ou le souder

Step 1:
google translated

antenna wire connection on the circuit is cut and I do not know where the weld

antenna wire connection on the circuit is cut and I do not know where the weld

you might need to solder it
You attach wires to printed circuit boards (PCB) in a process called soldering. You heat the wire and PCB pad, melting the solder wire and allowing it to flow onto the wire and pad. The solder wire used is typically a lead-tin alloy although in some special cases, silver is used. Soldering a wire to a printed circuit board may be part of making, repairing or modifying the board or connecting it to another device.

Clean the pad on the circuit board where the wire will be attached. Gently rub the eraser on the pad until it is clean and shiny. Strip about 1/4 inch of insulation from the wire. Tin the end of the soldering iron by melting a small amount of solder onto the iron tip. Heat the wire end with the soldering iron for a few seconds and briefly touch the solder wire to the bare wire, just long enough to melt the solder, and let it flow into the stranded wires. This is called tinning the wire. Tinning the wire is not necessary with solid or single strand wire. Insert the wire end through the hole in the circuit board pad from the top or component side of the board. Bend the end of the wire slightly to prevent the wire from falling out while soldering but do not let the wire end touch any other component lead or another pad on the circuit board. Apply the soldering iron tip to the wire end and solder pad at the same for a few seconds until the solder used to tin the wire end melts. Apply just enough new solder to make a dome-shaped puddle on the pad that covers the hole and the wire. Remove the iron from the pad but do not move the board for a minute. Cool the new soldered joint and do not move the board until the solder hardens. Clip the wire end off with the wire cutters. The wire is permanently attached to the printed circuit board.

Soldering Guide b> b> b> How to Solder to a Circuit Board: Skill Set (with Video)

Mar 14, 2013 | Computers & Internet


Soldering 101

Most repair procedures on modern TVs require some kind of soldering. It is not a process which you can learn without spending some time getting the proper equipment and practicing until you can make a good solder joint in your sleep.<br /> <br /> First you need to understand that recently, within the last 5 years, the type of solder has been changed. Originally solder contained lead which can be dangerous, although I would wager that no one licks circuit boards! In order to make solder environmentally friendly more antimony has been added. This means that solder melts at a higher tempreture and does not adhere near as well. Flow is also compromised. Most solder joints now look like what we called cold solder joints in the past.<br /> <br /> To be able to solder correctly you will need a good iron or better yet a soldering station. You will also need to purchase some lead based solder and some solder with no lead. This is because you do not know at this point what circuit you will be working on.<br /> <br /> There are many vendors out there selling soldering equipment. <a href=""></a> <a href=""></a> <a href=""></a> just to mention a few. <br /> <br /> The most versatile station would be a unit with an adjustable tempreture range. Then you can solder with lead based or non-lead solder. Lead based solder flows at about 750 degrees farenheith. The newer non-lead based solder flows at about 950 degrees farenheith. This means that you have to be extremely careful not to overheat components.<br /> <br /> If you cannot afford a variable tempreture unit you should probably purchase several pencil gun units. I would recommend getting a 25 watt, 35 watt and a 50 watt unit. Also get a good solder ****** and some solder wick. Do not get the cheap wick as it does not work after it corrodes due to the oxygen in the air. You will need the solder wick to remove any bad parts. <br /> <br /> When you are ready to solder let the iron or station heat up to the correct operating tempreture. Trying to solder too soon will give bad results. When the unit is hot and ready to go, place the tip (which should be conical) on the part to be soldered. Do not hurry it. Let it melt the solder and wait to see it flow before adding solder wick or removing the part.<br /> <br /> Reverse the procedure when soldering in a part. Do not have the iron in contact with the part any more than necessary as you may overheat the unti and damage it.<br /> <br /> If you follow these instructions you should be able to solder any board, part or device which needs it.<br /> <br /> Thanks for using FixYa and for the great rating.<br /> <br /> hardrocko

on Apr 30, 2011 | Weller TC201T: Soldering Iron For Wtcpt,...

1 Answer

How do I replace the race slot on my amp do I need to take out the whole board and get it from the other side and is ther any soldering involved

Removal I can help with. Finding the RCA jack is a little tougher. This part is on you.

Does the circuit board remove from that back plate, where the RCA jack pokes through?
It would be nice to get it out of the way.

The RCA jack does unsolder from the bottom of the circuit board.

1) Use a low Wattage soldering iron. Put a soldering GUN aside.
TOO much heat.
20 Watt soldering iron.

2) Soldering stand, or at least a damp sponge nearby to constantly clean the soldering iron tip.
The soldering iron tip NEEDS to be well tinned, and clean.

3) No.2 chisel tip. It will make your life SO much easier.

[Soldering tip is taken down to the bare copper. Then heat soldering iron. Do not leave plugged in too long. Use Rosin core solder, and I would recommend .030 in size.

Soldering iron tip hot, touch the rosin core solder, and give a light coat of solder. -> Tinning ]

Removing that RCA jack to me, is just like removing a DC Power Jack, from a laptop motherboard.

First thing you want to do, is remove as much solder as possible, from each solder joint, on the bottom of the circuit board.
I use Desoldering Braid. (Solder Wick)

Unroll the wick about 6 inches.
Lay about 1/2 inch of wick across the solder joint. (Solder connection on bottom of circuit board)

Put the soldering iron tip on Top of the wick, and on top of the solder joint.
When the wick starts to absorb the melted solder, remove the wick.
Cut off the solder soaked wick part, so you will have a new wick surface to operate with.

Keep going around the solder joint, until most of the solder joint is removed. You will NOT remove all solder. You are JUST trying to remove the majority.

Perform for all solder joints (Connections) on the bottom of the circuit board, for those RCA jack leads.

Remove solder from one lead -> STOP
Allow the circuit board to cool down.
Then continue on.

Circuit board on it's side on the workbench, hold the insulated part of the RCA jack with one hand.

You want to rest your hand on part of the circuit board, (If possible), and use the heel of your hand as a fulcrum.
Fingers constantly applying pressure to the jack, pulling jack away from circuit board.

Heat one of the solder connections up on the bottom of the circuit board. Applying pressure with your fingers, see if this one lead will start to come out of the circuit board.


It will only come out so far, as the other leads of the RCA jack are still holding it in.
The method is to heat one solder connection, try to pull the lead out of the circuit board a little, then go to the nearest lead; and heat it up.
(Heat it up = Melt the solder)

Keep pulling the leads out a little at a time, and going from lead to lead, until they all come out of the circuit board.

What look to be very flat thin copper wires, on the bottom of the circuit board, are actually Circuit Traces. Also known as Signal Traces.

IF, you heat the solder joint (Connection), too long, you stand the chance of ruining the circuit board. This = No.

You can lift the circuit trace right off of the motherboard, using too much heat.
You can burn the circuit trace 'hole', and this will make it so it will NOT accept solder again. (You can't tin it )

GO SLOW. You have as MUCH time as you need.

Suggest melt one solder joint a little, pull on on it's lead, then allow the circuit board to cool down some.
Then go to the nearest lead, heat it's solder joint, pull up; then let the circuit board cool all the way down.

You get the picture

[Leads are the 'stiff wires' coming down from the RCA jack.
Circuit trace 'hole', is the hole where the lead goes through in the circuit board ]

When the damaged RCA jack is removed:

There will be residue left behind on the circuit board 'hole'. This needs to be properly cleaned.
I use Isopropyl Alcohol, and an old toothbrush.

Isopropyl alcohol is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!
Use in a WELL ventilated area with NO sparks or flames present.

Yeah, I know. A disclaimer. I just want to make sure you do not get hurt.

Means circuit board well away from the hot soldering iron, when cleaning.

Info that may help,

There may also be a thin coat of solder over the circuit trace holes, left behind.
DO NOT worry about it/them. Leave alone.

When you go to install the new RCA jack, you will cut the leads until they are about 1 inch long, if not already that length.
Bend the leads so you can try a trial fit, and make sure each lead is going towards it's circuit trace hole.

Leads of the RCA jack pushing against (Lightly), the circuit trace hole, and the thin solder 'skin'.
When you heat the circuit trace hole from the bottom of the circuit board, the solder 'skin' will instantly melt, and allow the RCA jack lead to poke through.

Don't know if you used to solder back in the day, but solder has changed now. It is 'green', and no longer contains lead.
Makes it a @$#@^ if you are soldering with it the first time.
Suggest practice on soldering wires together, and perhaps an old circuit board.

The solder joints you make MUST be clean and bright. They should look like a 'Hershey's Kiss' when properly done.

IF, you make a bad solder joint, it is a Cold Solder Joint.
This = No.
You'll be pulling your hair out trying to figure out what is wrong, when it is just a cold solder joint.

You may wish to also view some soldering tutorials on Youtube,

Check the - Related videos on the right also.

For additional questions please post in a Comment.

[Even though you can see I'm pretty 'Windy', I feel like I have left something out ]


Nov 11, 2012 | Computers & Internet

1 Answer

I have nad tuner 4155,sounds garbled and very little volume

Hi, you might need to replace Some damaged resistor controlling the sound function.
Please if no basic experience ,contact a repairman.

Replacing Damaged Resistors

Disconnect the stereo at the plug and remove the outer case.

Confirm that the resistor is damaged by testing the tolerance with a multimeter. Melt the current solder with an iron and remove the damaged resistor.

Mount the replacement resistor onto the circuit board. Trim any surplus lead material from around it.

"Tin" the tip of the soldering iron by melting a tiny amount of solder directly onto it. Remove any surplus solder and place the tip straight onto the circuit board.

Melt a tiny amount of solder straight onto the joint, using the solder spool. Ensure that the solder does not touch the tip of the iron.

Melt the solder straight onto the area between the resistor lead and the printed circuit board. Leave it to set and ensure that the joint is strong. Reassemble the stereo and test it.

Also Spray the volume control knob with electrical contact cleaner. Twist the knob from low to high to make certain that all the workings are adequately lubricated. This should eliminate any interference that you've experienced when adjusting the volume.

Check the condition of the speaker wires if the stereo is emitting no sound. Ensure that no bare wires are coming in contact with each other. This will result in a dead short. Replace any damaged wires with new ones.

Check the connections of all speaker wires if no damage is detected. Ensure that the wires are securely connected at the back of the stereo and at the speakers' connections. Confirm that the positive and negative connections on the stereo are connected to the corresponding speaker connections.

Good luck..

Aug 28, 2011 | NAD Audio Players & Recorders

2 Answers

Wont power up, have to remove power cord from within back panel.

You have a short on one of the power leads going into your tv's power supply. It is probably right where the plug leads are converted to circuit board leads. Usually big drops of solder are there and they can pop off the circuit board due to inadequate flux use before soldering and repeated hot cold cycling of normal use. When you get it to connect it stays connected until it cools down and separates again.

You should be able to remove the power supply from the tv and have the three power leads checked and resoldered by someone you know with soldering skills who works for beer or owes you a favor.

Good luck and be careful.

Mar 15, 2010 | JVC LT-26C31 26 in. LCD Television

1 Answer

My coaxial connector broke off. i have a new F connector now but i dont see where to solder it on to. can you help me find where i should solder on the f connector?

The connector needs to be soldered in two ways. The center connector needs to be soldered to the same point as the original. This may have broke off close to the small circuit board inside the tuner and you hopefully can see the broken piece sticking out. The tuner should ideally be removed to accomplish this. The tuner usually has two shields that snap in place that can be removed. You may be able to solder a short piece of wire to the remainder of the original connector. The outside of the f connector also needs to be soldered to the tuner shielding itself as a ground connection and you will need a soldering gun or higher wattage iron for this step. Use a lower wattage soldering pencil for the signal connection to the tuner board.

Nov 18, 2009 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Fix terrible sound on 19'' B-OPD LCD TV?

sound in a tv comes first from the tuner box    the components in it are so small and bad soldering is common  the tuner if removable may need to be replaced or re-soldered... if it is part of the main board an adventurous person could try to re-solder it using a magnifying glass   otherwise if it is an audio ic that is the problem  they can sound very bad if it is clipping the signal which likely would be in the circuit leading to the chip and likely not the ic itself

Nov 07, 2009 | Televison & Video

2 Answers

RF connector snapped off from tv . it is connected to main board.

this problem is for people who know how to do soldering. Just buy a new connector , it cost $0.50 and $15 for labor if your technician is good . it ask some expertise, because you have to remove the tuner open the tuner and make the soldering by putting the new part.

Good luck.

Sep 23, 2009 | Dynex 32 in. LCD Flat-Panel HDTV

2 Answers

Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U need to replace broken tuner

actually you dont need the tuner you just need the rf connector itself which you can easly pick up at a radio shack for a few bucks. you can DIY it will take a bit of soldering and time. First take the broken connector to radio and look for a close match, longer leads better you can always cut to fit.
remove board from tv and un solder the tuner. if solder does not seam to melt apply some fresh solder and then unsolder. pop the tuner lid of carefully both top and bottom to gain access to the circuit. cearfully remove any remains of the old connector. Now find the hole where the last part was and insert new RF connector adjust and cut the lead if nessary and resolder to circuit. place both caps back on and resolder tuner to board.connect board to ther circuit and test.

Mar 17, 2009 | Sharp Aquos LC-32GD4U 32 in. LCD HDTV

1 Answer

Hello the connector on back of my tv came loose how can i diy

You need to remove the tuner from the main circuit board, resolder the cable connector to the metal tuner case, and resolder the connection inside the tuner from the connector center tab to the tuner circuit board.

Removing the tuner requires "solder wick," a copper braid that soaks up the solder as it melts so it can be freed from the board.

Resoldering the connector to the tuner case requires high heat from a soldering gun to get it hot enough fast enough to make the connection. A regular soldering iron won't do the trick.

If the connector has been broken off completely, replacements are available from a couple of on-line vendors (I use a company call MCM Electronics

If you are not comfortable with electronic soldering and working on TV's, you might want to get an estimate from a shop for this repair. It should be under $100, depending on the shop's rate.

Dec 09, 2008 | RCA F27450 27" TV

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sony KV-36FS17 36" TV Logo

Related Topics:

29 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sony Televison & Video Experts


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

74630 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Are you a Sony Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides