An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: 1997 Jennair microwave M170W
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
If it goes dead or blows the breaker when you plug it in or open or close the door, then there's a problem with a door switch or door switch mount.
If it's intermittent or random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or a loose fuse holder, or even an intermittent fuse.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I am wondering which fuse is blowing?
There are at least two fuses fitted internally and in the UK at least another fitted in the plug of the supply lead.
It isn't wise for an unqualified person to replace the internal fuses of a microwave even if it is switched off as there is a capacitor inside that is capable of storing a dangerous amount of energy.
The reasons why a fuse blows is either because there is a poor connection close by that is generating a lot of heat or the the fuse rating is incorrect or of the wrong type (quick-blow instead of slow-blow) or the appliance is consuming more current than it should be.
Microwave ovens have a fairly simple working principle and there aren't many things to go wrong. When things do start to go wrong or components become tired it is usually translated into a loss of efficiency that can be measured by how long it takes to boil a measured quantity of water, for instance.
Periodically timing a measured quantity of water to boiling point is a good way to monitor the performance of a microwave and when efficiency falls significantly take it to the service shop before something destroys itself and causes more damage.
In my limited experience the magnetron could be failing but the internals of a microwave should remain a mystery to the unqualified.
I hope this helps a little.
The magnetron is more than likely the problem, or the inverter board if oven is 7 years old or less. If you have a digital meter you can do a rough test on the magnetron, unplug microwave, set meter to ohms, disconnect one wire from magnetron and put the test leads across too points, if reading is .2ohms or less it is good, but if the test shows infinity or open the magnetron is bad, keep in mind it may have a short making the reading misleading.
My Magic Chef microwave keeps blowing fuses (5 fuses) when close the door. Anybody has any idea? It is the first and last time time that I buy Magic Chef's products if their enginers don't come out with a solution because I just got it just over a year. Thanks for your time and your expertise.
possibly the fuse has blown this will happen sometimes if there is excessive moisture or cockroaches or something strange in the power line the fuse used in microwaves is a slow blow fuse which usually compensates for these problems you also might have a high voltage problem or short note if you are thinking of replacing fuse if that is the problem remember microwaves work on very high voltages be aware of this if not confident please call repair technician keep me informed of the uotcome
You need to open the oven (unplugged) by removing the screws along the case. Inside, there is a 20 amp fast blow fuse that you can get at Radio Shack. It looks cylindrical and white. I would test that first. However, replacing the fuse may work, but then, other components may have shorted inside causing the fuse to blow. Try the fuse replacement/test it first. Good luck
Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.
Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything. A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay.....
Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on, but nothing is heating and the fan is not running. A - This most commonly is abad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common. Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ). A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwavefuse.
Q - My microwave is completely dead. A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well.
Q - The fan in my microwave oven is not running will this hurt my microwave? A - YES, the fan cools the magnetron and electronics, take the microwave in for service, most fans are not too expensive to replace.
Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section.