Chat with Somebody in Yahoo! Mail
To exchange instant messages with any Yahoo! Instant Messenger or Windows Live Messenger user in Yahoo! Mail:
- Make sure you are singed in to chat.
- If Offline appears after your user name right next to the Yahoo! Mail icon at the top, click Offline and choose Available, Busy or Invisible from the menu.
- Press c (think chat).
- You can also select Chat from the Compose drop-down menu — click the down arrow first.
- Type the desired user's Yahoo! Messenger ID in the To: field.
- Hit Enter.
- Type away.
You can also start a chat by looking for an online contact first:
- Click Online next to Contacts in the Yahoo! Mail folder list.
- Now click on the desired contact's name or user name.
- Start typing.
If you start composing an email in Yahoo! Mail and the prospective email recipient appears under Online, Chat now!
in the To:
field's auto-complete list, select the entry to convert your email to an instant message.