When cooking several years ago whatever it was at the time caught on fire and was on the metal rack that comes with the microwave. Where the rack sits on the clips burned a hole in the side of the microwave and fryed the plastic clip. we by accident found we could continue to use the microwave by placing a piece of duct tape over the burnt hole. I am getting ready to sell the house and if at all possible would rather find a CORRECT way to repair the hole than have to buy a new one. Thank you, Hope Ellis firstname.lastname@example.org
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This can be two things that I know of 1 is a timer defect and the other is someone has placed some type of metal ie utensil, foil, can whatever into the microwave - either way you should replace the microwave and its a fire hazard to your home and others around you and the cost of a new unit is not worth the losses a fire can bring.
If you have this model microwave and it was working fine, then one day it stopped heating items placed inside there are a handful of different issues that could be the problem. In my case it was intermittent, over a period of a few days it would sometimes work (heat) and sometimes not. NO MATTER if this is what your's is doing or if it stopped heating all together. If you decide to let it dry out, or not use it for a while to see if it was a one time occurrence, or whatever the reason, the first time you put something in and probably for the next 10 times at least (this assumes it starts to work again), make sure you are right there with it while it is cooking. Don't assume you can put something in, go do something and come back when the timer is beeping. There is a chance (as this happened to me) that your food inside will CATCH FIRE! Normal food item placed inside, no metal, nothing different than the numerous times before when this had been cooked but when we smelled smoke we came running. Fortunately it started and finished inside the microwave but that's not a guarantee, it could spread. Play it safe. Never had a problem like this before and never heard of a microwave cooking something until it caught on fire (especially since the time entered for the cook was 30 seconds) but it did.
Never, never, never, never, never put anything metal in a microwave oven! No metal, no pot or pan, no silverware, no plate with metal trim ... nothing! No "Jiffy Pop" (comes in a metal container). Use ONLY microwave safe containers. Some claim there are health concerns (dangers) to using anything plastic in a microwave. The claim is the chemicals in the plastic which were not meant to be consumed are consumed as they are burned out of the plastic into the food. These chemicals are know to some to be cancer causing. I am not making this claim ... only passing on what I have heard about plastics. For myself, I don't use plastic or paper (fire hazard) in the microwave. For one thing, I don't like the taste of food that has been prepared or reheated in a microwave in a plastic container - particularly coffee.
Having said that ... here is what is going on. You probably reflected microwave back into the magnatron and ... well ... cooked it. In my area, such damage is not economically repairable. The tech wants $100.00 to look at it, magnatrons are typically $50 to $100 or more. There could also be other damaged parts ... repair bill could be more than a replacement oven.
If you find a oven that comes with a rack, here is how that works. You will observe that the rack sits with flat feet on a carousel which is typically out of the range of the microwave OR has been built to reflect the waves in a manner that they will not damage the magnatron. Typically, a rack will be made of very small round stock that will not reflect much in any single direction ... besides that, you would have food on the rack that would absorbe most of the energy anyway.
If you replace this oven, please ensure you review all the warnings and instructions that will accompaly your new oven ... even the seemingly silly stuff like "dont use the microwave in your bath tub to heat the water".
I believe your oven is cooked. I'm sorry you are having this trouble and I hope my comments have helped you to arrive at a workable solution to your problem.
Thank you for your interest in FixYa.com
If you are pleased, the courtesy of a positive vote and response will be appreciated by this volunteer effort on my part.
I am still working on the problem. So far the exhaust fan, the light , the clock and light inside the heating chamber has started working. I am going to sit back and think and look for the part that shorted out. Since the unit is 29 years old the bad part may not even be available. I will keep you advised after I find the culprit part. The information may be beneficial to others.
Not at all. You can just order a new rack support (or a whole set of them).
You can usually find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order
entering your full model number here. Quite
often this arcing is due to grease or food particles stuck between the holder and the hole it goes into, etc. If the cavity metal of
the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and
clean and dried thoroughly.
Then you can apply some
high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart,
Lowe's or Builder's Square.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
The problem that you are having is that the magnetron inside the microwave is shorting out to ground and it will find the shortest path to reach whatever has metal in it. Replacing the magnetron will solve your problem altogether and you need not do anything else different and continue using your metal racks.
You should not have any metals in the oven when the microwave is on. If you are just doing convection cooking, the metal rack should be in so that what you are cooking is raised up so the hot air can surround what you are cooking.
Sonja, I'm not sure what hinges you're speaking about. If you are referring to the bumpers on the ends of the wire racks that are used for convection...move the racks away from the wall. Generally, you should not have anything metal in the unit when it is just microwaving....they are for convection use. You will not start a fire but you will shorten the life of the magnetron if you continue to allow the sparking condition.