Door inside and metal vent area smells strongly of fumes
My microwave smells strongly of some type of fume. This smell is there on the inside of the door and on the vent (fan) area below. This smell is there even though the microwave is not in operation. The microwave seems to work fine otherwise.
My gas stove below emits no odor at all. The smell is stronger when I put my nose close to the inside frame of the door. This is making me nervous. Ever heard of this? Is it dangerous?
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
When a microwave gets a strong smell and then just stops working actually this means that something is bunt down in it, more of so the strong smell indicates that the HT (high tension transformer) inside has its windings burnt. If replaced check that while its on, its vent holes on the sides or at the back is not blocked, this helps it not over heat. Also check that the fan inside is working or else replace it too.
I am absilutely certain that the reason it vents inside is because it is more difficult to vent it outside.. ( which means it costs the builder more to do that) but to answer your question.. Yes, all spacemaker micros can be vented out the wall but you will have to remove it from where it is mounted and rotate the blower assembly so it vents out the back, place a blank off plate over the open area where it used to vent ( it may be there and needs to be repositioned when you rotate the blower) , then create a vent hole that lines up with the exit point of that micro.. and attach duct work to bring it outside ( depending on your siding , will dictate how that gets mounted externally and you may run into a problem witha stud on the outside wall ( a bearing wall) that wil need to be cut..I've installed many of these to outside vents and it is a lot of work.. so you may want to consider your options. If you hire someone, that's the easiest solution. You may also want to check to make sure your condo committee ( if you have one) will not have a problem with that.. or you may be able to get a group discount if you hire someone to do mulitple units..
Hope that helps..
I do have the same problem, but I know they make microwave paint if you can get it from an appliance store or you can order through the web - BUT 2 sites I just looked at said a gloss enamel paint, such as that used to paint "model" toys works just as well. In either case: Smooth the old stuff off, sand lightly (you want no metal dust left -or- damaging any coating on the metal) just sand enough to make sure there's no flakes & it's smooth, then use a gloss enamel paint rather it's approved for microwaves or the Testor's kind. NEXT -Make sure you DRY with Hairdryer to set the paint, and keep the heat to med or low, don't bubble or scorch your work!) and do not use the microwave for 24 hours!! Leave the door open while drying for several days afterwards if you can. Any fume smells can be absorbed by using -used- coffee grounds and leaving overnight. Google groups was one source the other was a repair listing forum.
If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..