Question about Electrical Supplies
First off, if your dimmer is getting hot, then there is something wrong. This is dangerous. Do not leave that dimmer in the wall. Remove it.
1) A typical wall switch controls up to 1400 Watts. Look at the watt rating of your dimmer. A 600 watt dimmer will control up to 600 watts. If you have 600 watts on your dimmer, expect a shortened lifespan for that device. If you have more than 600 Watts, expect overheating and possible fire.
2) Lutron makes 1000 Watt dimmers
3) Type of bulb: Review the specs shown on link above because they show wattage, and they also show which light the dimmer is made to control
4) If your lights are on a 3-way switch, then dimmer has 3 screws and connects to 3 wires. If your wiring is incorrect, it might give symptoms shown above.
If your switch had 2 wires and you put those wires on a dimmer with 3 screws, it might be wired incorrectly.
Check wiring. Re-post a question if your are confused about details.
5) There might be a short in the circuit ... or in the dimmer ... replace dimmer with another one from Home Depot and see if symptoms persist. Disconnect ground wire as a test only and see if symptoms disappear ... if so then there is a short somewhere in the circuit
Don't burn the house down.
Posted on Oct 17, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 27, 2014 | Lutron Toggler Single Pole 600 Watt Preset...
Feb 03, 2011 | Maestro Lutron Ir Dimmer Mir-lfqthw...
Dec 24, 2010 | Lutron Electrical Supplies
Oct 22, 2010 | Lutron MRF-VCTX-WH Maestro Wireless White...
Oct 16, 2010 | Lutron #DVW-603PGH-WH 600W White Single...
Oct 16, 2010 | Maestro Lutron Dimmer 600 Watts Ma-600-wh
Oct 12, 2010 | Lutron #D-600PH-DK 600W SP Push Rotating...
Aug 25, 2010 | Lutron Electronic Low-Voltage...
Aug 14, 2009 | Lutron Electronic Low-Voltage...
Mar 30, 2009 | Lutron Electronics Diva 3-Way Duo Dimmers,...
222 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!