Connect a game controller
Learn how to connect a wireless or wired controller to your Xbox 360 console.
Connect a wireless Xbox controller
- Turn on your console.
- Press and hold the Guide button on the controller until the controller turns on.
- Press and release the connect button on the console.
Xbox 360 E console
Xbox 360 S console
Original Xbox 360 console
- Within 20 seconds, press and release the connect button on the controller.
- When the lights surrounding the power button on the console stop flashing, the controller is connected.
On the Xbox 360 S console, each connected controller is assigned to one of four positions. Each position corresponds to a lighted section around the console power button and the controller Guide button. On the 360 E console, a solid green light on the front of the console indicates that the controller is connected. To determine the player position associated with your accessory, look at the ring of light that surrounds the Guide button on the controller.
If the controller does not turn on, check the batteries. Insert fresh AA batteries, making sure they are correctly positioned in the battery case.
You can also use the Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit or the Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit to power the controller. Learn more about Xbox controllers and chargers
To connect additional controllers, follow these same steps again. You can connect up to four controllers to the console. Each connected controller is assigned a position that corresponds with the lighted sections that appear around the console's power button and around the Guide button located in the middle of each controller.
- To disconnect a wireless controller, press and hold the Guide button for three seconds, and then choose to turn the controller off.
- When you turn off the console, the controller will reconnect the next time you turn on the console.
- The controller can be connected to only one console at a time. You can connect the controller to a different console, but the connection to the previously connected console will be lost.