Information About Management Mode for Firmware Recovery
What is Management Mode?
If you encounter an irrecoverable condition with the WRT54G v5, you can use Management Mode to recover the router by uploading a new firmware image. In Management Mode, the router will have just enough functionality to load a newer firmware. You should be able to recover the router is most situations.
When will the WRT54G v5 enter Management Mode?
The WRT54G v5 will enter Management Mode when:
* The router's firmware is corrupt (for example, when the router's Power light is blinking), OR
* When the router has been reset incorrectly using the following
1. Unplug the power cord.
2. Press and hold the Reset button.
3. Plug power cord back in (Reset button still held in).
4. Wait about 5-10 seconds.
How do I get out of Management Mode?
* To get out of Management Mode, simply unplug the power cord from the back or router for ten (10) seconds and plug the power cord back in (without using the Reset button). If the router's firmware is complete and without error, the router will start up normally.
If the above does not work, try:
* Download a local copy of WRT54G Version 5 firmware that you can use for recovery. Visit http://www.linksys.com/download to download the latest firmware. After unzipping and extracting the firmware file, click on the Browse button from the Management Mode page, select the firmware file, and upgrade the firmware. After this, Reset the router normally (by holding in the Reset button for 10 seconds) and the router should exit Management Mode.
How do I enter Management Mode manually to recover my router?
* The PC that will be used for the recovery MUST be connected to the router via a hardwired Ethernet cable and not a wirelessly connected computer.
* Be sure that you have a local copy of WRT54G Version 5 firmware that you can use for recovery. Visit http://www.linksys.com/download to download the latest firmware.
* In most cases, the router will be able to provide an IP address via DHCP when in Management Mode. If your PC does not automatically receive an IP address from the router, you will have to set up a static IP address for the upgrade. See Answer ID 534 for more information.
* When the router is forced into Management Mode, the Power light will blink.
1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the router.
2. Hold down the Reset button.
3. While holding down the Reset button, plug back in the power cord to the router.
4. Continue to hold the Reset button for five (5) seconds. After five (5) seconds, release the button.
5. Wait for about one (1) minute. Then, on a computer connected to the router, launch a web browser (for example, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox).
6. Type in the router's IP address of http://192.168.1.1 into the Address field and press the [Enter] key.
7. The Management Mode - Firmware Upgrade interface should appear.
NOTE: If you accidentally enter into Management Mode, you can exit by simply unplugging the power cord from the router and by plugging it back in.
8. Click Browse and locate the firmware file.
9. Click Apply to start the firmware upgrade process.
10.Once the firmware upgrade process has successfully completed, an "Upgrade Success" message will appear to confirm that the upgrade has ended.
11. Unplug the power cord from the back of the router and plug it back in -- this will restart your router using the new firmware.
Feb 16, 2006 |
Linksys (WRT54GC) Router